SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: On Wisconsin, Again
A very typical ending for a very atypical year.
We wrap up another season in a way that belies the craziness this season represented with a team that is traditionally at the top of our poll. The next two teams are a bit newer to the spotlight though. As we end the poll for the year we decided to see how accurate our preseason predictions were.
1. Wisconsin (17-3-1), 80 (8) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 3-0 v Providence (3/16), W 4-2 v Ohio State (3/18), W 2-1 OT v Northeastern (3/20)
- Preseason: 2/
Another year another title for the Badgers. They blasted through their quarter and semifinal matches before getting taken to OT by an upstart Northeastern team. While Wisconsin had control of play they were unable to solve Aerin Frankel more than once in regulation. In the end they wore down the Huskies to take home their record tying sixth national title, and end the season as our final ‘Belles of the Ball.’
Wisconsin wins 2021 National Championship, 2-1
2. Northeastern (22-2-1), 70 — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 5-1 v Robert Morris (3/15), W 3-2 OT v Minnesota Duluth (3/18), L 1-2 OT v Wisconsin (3/20)
- Preseason: 1/
The Huskies were a brutally bad bounce from a national title. Despite the loss the one goal loss is the best performance in a title game by any Hockey East member. The title game appearance alone was the first in the school’s history of any sport.
3. Ohio State (13-7-0), 66— Last poll: 3
- Last Week: W 3-1 v Boston College (3/16), L 2-4 v Wisconsin (3/18)
- Preseason: 3/
The Buckeyes handled the Eagles but were unable to upset the Badgers one more time.
4. Colgate (15-7-1), 48 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: L 0-1 OT v Minnesota Duluth (3/15)
- Preseason: 8/
A rough game which saw the Raiders blanked in the quarterfinals took them out of contention.
5. Minnesota-Duluth (12-7-0), 46 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: W 1-0 OT v Colgate (3/15), L 2-3 OT v Northeastern (3/18)
- Preseason: 6/
The Bulldogs came within a few great Frankel saves from returning to the title game for the first time since 2010, but were unable to hold onto a 2-0 lead against NU.
6. Minnesota (11-8-1), 36 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: No Games
- Preseason: 4/
Most voters still felt strongly about Minnesota being a good team, despite the still puzzling committee decisions.
7. Boston College (14-6-0), 34 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: L 1-3 v Ohio State (3/16)
- Preseason: 9/
The Eagles landed roughly as they blew their one goal lead in a frenzy of Buckeye shots en route to elimination.
8. Penn State (16-3-2), 22— Last poll: 8
- Last week: No Games
- Preseason NR/
The Nittany Lions were unable to participate in the NCAA’s due to a collapse in the CHA tournament, but this still marks a massive jump forward for Penn State.
9. Robert Morris (16-8-1), 13 — Last poll: ARV
- Last week: L 1-5 v Northeastern(3/15)
- Preseason: ARV (12)/
Robert Morris held their own against NU for a good chunk of the game, but in the end they were no match for the Huskies.
10. Providence (12-8-1), 12 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: L 0-3 v Wisconsin (3/16)
- Preseason: NR/
Providence was held shotless for the first period but after that held Wisconsins high powered offense down to an acceptable level while getting a few opportunities of their own, fruitlessly.
Also Receiving Votes: St. Lawrence 9, Clarkson 3, Connecticut 1