Earlier today, the Boston Pride acquired the first overall pick of the 2020 NWHL Draft from the Toronto Furies. With that pick, the Pride selected Boston University star forward Sammy Davis. The pick was announced by ESPN’s John Buccigross.
The Hockey East First-Team All-Star and MVP of the 2019 Beanpot Tournament led the Terriers in goals (17), assists (24), and points (41) in her senior season. Davis finished the 2019-20 campaign tied for fifth among all seniors in scoring with Sydney Brodt (University of Minnesota-Duluth) and never went more than three games without registering a point in her redshirt senior season.
Davis, a native of Pembroke, MA, won a gold medal with Team USA at the 2015 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championship. She scored 142 points in 146 games during her collegiate career and missed the entire 2017-18 season due to injury. As a redshirt junior in 2018-19, Davis set career-highs in goals (25), assists (27), and points (52).
She is expected to be the second first overall pick in the NWHL Draft to play for the Boston Pride. The first, Alex Carpenter, played one season with the team in 2016-17 after being selected first overall by the then New York Riveters.
2020 NWHL Draft
- Sammy Davis, F, Boston University — Boston Pride
- Kayla Friesen, F, Clarkson University — Connecticut Whale
- Carly Jackson, G, Maine — Buffalo Beauts
- Saroya Tinker, D, Yale — Metropolitan Riveters
- Alex Woken, F, Minnesota — Minnesota Whitecaps
- Jaycee Gebhard, F, Robert Morris — Toronto
- Victoria Howran, D, New Hampshire — Connecticut Whale
- Amy Curlew, F, Cornell — Toronto
- Codie Cross, D, Northeastern — Buffalo Beauts
- Delaney Belinskas, F, Boston College — Metropolitan Riveters
- Patti Marshall, D, Minnesota — Minnesota Whitecaps
- Tereza Vanišova, F, Maine — Boston Pride