2020 has been tough so whether you’re shopping for gifts for someone else or for yourself, we’ve got a whole host of ideas. This is obviously not an exhaustive list of women’s hockey ideas. Help our fellow fans by dropping any other links you find in the comments.
New this year is slightly separated team stores! The Pride and the Six each have their own sites while NWHL branded, Beauts, Whitecaps, Whale and Riveters gear are all under one. There’s new shirseys, replica jerseys, face masks, and tons of other fun things. Last year they had Christmas sweaters so hopefully those will return. The Whitecaps also have other products for sale via Minnesota-based GoodWood Hockey.
MeiGray has game jerseys available on their site as well, though obviously at a higher price point than the replica jerseys.
The league store - with limited items - ships internationally. Each team has their own store but seems to only ship within in Sweden.
It’s going to be a long winter and while there’s not a plethora of women’s hockey books on the market, there is a solid selection. We have a small list in our What To Do While Social Distancing post and we’ve also been working through reading and reviewing some of them as well in our Books section.
Here’s an updated version of the lists for the 2020 holiday season. Remember, especially now, to try to buy from a local bookstore over a chain. IndieBound can help you find a local store and many are doing curbside pickup.
- The IIHF has a list of 10+ books, though most are on the older side. Of them, Mike Murphy has read and reviewed On The Edge and Too Many Men on The Ice.
- The Role I Played by Sami Jo Small (excerpt)
I highly recommend this book for any and all hockey fans out there.
- Monique Lamoureux-Morando and Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson have a book coming on Feb. 23, 2021 called Dare to Make History. It’s available for preorder now.
- A children’s book about Manon Rhéaume was released recently - “Breaking The Ice”.
- There’s a variety of women’s hockey chapters - including one by Jessica Platt - in the second edition of “Everyday Hockey Heroes”.
- If fiction is more your jam, Anne Tokarski has read and reviewed Michigan Vs. The Boys and Cold Day in the Sun.
- While not a women’s hockey specific book, “Loving Sports When They Don’t Love You Back” by Jessica Luther and Kavitha Davidson is a must read for sports fans./
- Black Girl Hockey Club
Once you’ve signed their Get Uncomfortable pledge, buy some of their merch (which range from hoodies to shower curtains) or donate.
- Boston Pride and Team Trans
This New England’s LGBTQ+ hockey organization store appears to be mostly sold out, and given the current circumstances of the world, I’m not sure how quickly they’ll be able to restock, but just in case!
- Hockey by Design’s diversity collection
- Jo, who has designed merch for BGHC, has a store at notafanstore.com.
- Wisconsin fans can be a cut out at LaBahn with Bucky Boards!
- There’s some mad cute stickers in this Etsy store! /
The PWHPA’s merch sale is over, and the organization said they don’t have plans for to release any more for the holiday season.
Grindstone Award: https://grindstoneaward.com/donate/?v=3e8d115eb4b3
Players Against Hate: https://playersagainsthate.org/
Boston Pride Hockey/Team Trans Hockey: https://bostonpridehockey.org/
You Can Play Project: https://www.youcanplayproject.org/
True North Youth Foundation: https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=E346020QE&id=25
RGV Roller: https://donorbox.org/rgv-roller-general-fund
United Women’s Ball Hockey Foundation: https://uwbhf.org/donations/
Fast & Female: https://twitter.com/FastandFemale
She Is Sport: https://www.sheissport.com/donate
The #PWHPA and Grindstone Award are working together to donate 50 sets of Bauer gear to young girls from historically marginalized groups or whose families have been impacted by covid.— The Ice Garden (@TheIceGarden) December 1, 2020
You can nominate a player at this link: https://t.co/VzS3yxEmr5 https://t.co/D14iXbpg6A