SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Persistent Parity
The nation is wracked with parity- will an elite team emerge?
Teams are settling into their tiers for the season, but parity reigns across the country. Lots of surprising results shake up this week's rankings.
1. Wisconsin (12-0-0), 152 (10) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: W 3-2 @ Minnesota (10/28), W 2-1 OT @ Minnesota (10/29)
• Coming Week: v Ohio State (11/4, 11/5)
The games against the Gophers are always tough - the two teams are very familiar with each other - but the Badgers will have to do more against an Ohio State team that is dead-set on dethroning them
2. Clarkson (8-1-1), 142 (6) — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: L 3-4 OT v Colgate (10/27), W 6-0 v Cornell (10/28)
• Coming Week: @ Yale (11/3), @ Brown (11/4)
The Golden Knights rebounded from a tough loss against Colgate by destroying Cornell. They head on the road for two games they should win.
3. Boston College (6-0-1), 121 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 4-3 @ Boston University (10/28), W 7-2 v Maine (10/29)
• Coming Week: v Providence (11/3), @ Syracuse (11/4)
Boston College was clearly superior in both games, though Boston University tightened the game late. The Eagles have some head-scratching travel planned this weekend; they play on Friday against a surging Providence team at home before an afternoon tilt at Syracuse on Saturday.
4. Ohio State (7-0-1), 119 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (11/4, 11/5)
Buckeye fans have to hope the team took advantage of their bye week before traveling to Madison for a pair that could decide the WCHA crown come February.
5. Colgate (7-1-0), 99 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: W 4-3 OT @ Clarkson (10/27), L 1-3 @ St. Lawrence (10/28)
• Coming Week: v Princeton (11/3), v Quinnipiac (11/4)
After a marquee defeat of Clarkson, the Raiders stumbled at St. Lawrence, preventing them from moving back up the polls. This weekend brings a pair of home games against the middle of the ECAC.
6. Minnesota (5-4-1), 64 — Last Week: 6
• Last Week: L 2-3 v Wisconsin (10/28), L 1-2 OT v Wisconsin (10/29)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota State (11/3, 11/4)
Thanks to other teams struggling, Minnesota stays up here in the polls but have a very short leash. Any difficulties against the Mavericks will doom them.
7. St. Lawrence (3-3-2), 48 — Last week: 7
• Last Week: L 1-3 v Cornell (10/27), W 3-1 v Colgate (10/28)
• Coming Week: @ Brown (11/3). @ Yale (11/4)
After falling victim to the Cornell team right behind them in this poll, the Saints rebounded to take out a very talented Colgate team. This weekend should be a pair of easy wins on the road.
8. Cornell (1-1-0), 36 — Last Week: 9
• Last Week: W 3-1 @ St. Lawrence (10/27), L 0-6 @ Clarkson (10/28)
• Coming Week: v Quinnipiac (11/3), v Princeton (11/4)
The Big Red is a tough team to play for most of the country but they still have to answer the question: Are they a real contender? They stole a game against St. Lawrence but were then embarrassed by Clarkson. They also have a pair of home games against the middle of the ECAC, which will be telling.
9. Providence (6-2-2), 34 — Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: W 2-1 v Northeastern (10/28), W 6-4 @ Northeastern (10/29)
• Coming Week: @ Boston College (11/3)
The Friars took a pair from Northeastern, moving them into the rankings for the first time and earning them the title of Belles of the Ball this week. While they were outshot heavily and out played for many stretches, Providence took advantage of some poor goaltending and inconsistent defense by Northeastern en route to a big pair of Hockey East victories, making them the biggest threat to Boston College’s crown. This will be put to the test immediately as they take on those same Eagles on Friday.
10. Robert Morris (5-1-2), 20 —Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: T 3-3 @ Penn State (10/28), T 2-2 @ Penn State (10/29)
• Coming Week: @ Lindenwood (11/3, 11/4)
The Colonials return due to the struggles of other teams. They have an easy stretch for a bit with CHA games they should win.
Also Receiving Votes: Northeastern 18, Minnesota-Duluth 9, Quinnipiac 8, New Hampshire 5 Princeton 2, Maine 1, Bemidji State 1, Vermont 1