SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Capital Crash
The Badgers have a truly Black Friday, the Buckeyes blunder and the Gophers almost get eaten by the Lions
What a weekend we had. There was a great showcase in D.C. that featured arguably the biggest upset of the season. We had a shocking stumble near the Canadian border as well as a crash landing in Moon. We are also down to a single undefeated tournament eligible team, the Saint Anselm Hawks.
1. Wisconsin (17-1-0), 154 (12) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: L 2-3 v Northeastern (11/24), W 4-2 v Boston University (11/25)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (12/1, 12/2)
Bucky has finally buckled. Whether it be from overconfidence, travel weariness or some other factor, Wisconsin has finally lost a game. They stay atop the poll due to their solid body of work, but they get no rest before taking on a resurgent Duluth team at home.
2. Boston College (11-1-2), 140 (2) — Last Week: T-2
• Last Week: W 8-1 @ Harvard (11/22)
• Coming Week: v Northeastern (11/28), v Boston University (12/1), @ Boston University (12/2)
After dispatching their Beanpot rival Harvard, the Eagles enjoyed a nice break. They now play host to another Beanpot foe, Northeastern, in Hockey East action. Over the weekend they get a pair against the final member of the quartet, the Terriers of Boston University.
3. Colgate (14-2-0), 123 (1) — Last Week: T-2
• Last Week: L 1-4 v Minnesota-Duluth (11/24), W 6-1 v RIT (11/25)
• Coming Week: @ Cornell (12/1), v Cornell (12/2)
Colgate got brushed away by the Bulldogs before exacting their revenge on RIT the next day. The big win was not enough for pollsters as their votes dropped for the first time all season. They now play a home-and-home against their ECAC travel partner Cornell.
4. Clarkson (12-3-1), 117 (1) — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: v St. Lawrence (11/30), @ St. Lawrence (12/2)
Hopefully the week off was exactly what the doctor ordered as the Golden Knights take on the same St. Lawrence team they swept earlier in the season, this time for ECAC points.
5. Ohio State (11-3-2), 74 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: W 7-3 @ Robert Morris (11/24), L 2-3 OT @ Robert Morris (11/25)
• Coming Week: v St. Cloud State (12/1, 12/2)
Buckeye fans will likely fondly remember Black Friday of this year but will definitely block out the next day. The overtime loss to Robert Morris has not instilled any confidence in them for the pollsters. They now host a Husky team that is, in a word, bad. A pair of blow out wins is the only acceptable outcome.
6. Cornell (7-3-1), 69 — Last Week: T-6
• Last Week: T 1-1 OT v Penn State (11/21), W 2-1 @ Providence (11/25), W 4-2 @ Providence (11/26)
• Coming Week: v Colgate (12/1), @ Colgate (12/2)
After a rather bizarre tie to Penn State, the Big Red rebounded with a sweep of Providence on the road. Now they get a pair of games against rival Colgate in an attempt to separate themselves atop the conference.
7. Minnesota (13-4-1), 68 — Last Week: T-6
• Last Week: W 3-1 @ Lindenwood (11/25), W 4-3 OT @ Lindenwood (11/26)
• Coming Week: v Bemidji State (12/1, 12/2)
Further down the Gopher hole we go… After rallying to beat lowly Lindenwood on Saturday, the Gophers blew a two-goal lead on Sunday, getting dragged into OT where they were able to salvage the win. They now get a pair against the Bemidji team they swept earlier in the season, though one game went to OT. Like Ohio State, Minnesota needs to start winning against the teams they are supposed to a little more emphatically.
8. St. Lawrence (7-4-3), 56 — Last week: 8
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ Clarkson (12/1), v Clarkson (12/2)
The Saints also had a week off to game plan for their rivals and hope to reverse the results of earlier this season.
9. Robert Morris (10-2-2), 36 —Last Week: 10
• Last Week: L 3-7 v Ohio State (11/24), W 3-2 OT v Ohio State (11/25)
• Coming Week: v Mercyhurst (12/1, 12/2)
The Colonials should be happy to walk away with the split. On a normal weekend their upset would’ve been the biggest victory, but they were slightly overshadowed by Wisconsin’s fall from grace. They now get a pair at home against a Mercyhurst team that they should crush as they surge towards a regular season crown.
10. Northeastern (9-7-2), 19 — Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: W 3-2 v Wisconsin (11/24), W 6-1 v Minnesota State (11/25)
• Coming Week: @ Boston College (11/28), @ New Hampshire (12/1), v New Hampshire (12/3)
What a weekend for the Huskies. Most people expected them to come away with a win this weekend against Mankato, but the Huskies decided one was not enough. On the back of flaming hot freshman goalie Aerin Frankel, they defeated the previously undefeated Wisconsin Badgers. The next afternoon they leveled the Mavericks, with Denisa Krisova erupting for a hat trick while earning her 150th career point. On Tuesday we will see if these Huskies are for real as they get a Beanpot preview playing out in Chestnut Hill with major HEA implications. They also have a pair against a New Hampshire team that has been very good this season.
Also Receiving Votes: Providence 10, Saint Anselm 8, Minnesota-Duluth 6