SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Clarkson Cruising
The Golden Knights make a statement, Huskies and Gophers stay relevant.
This week went mostly according to plan. Some teams made some much needed statement wins while others continued their free fall down the poll.
1. Wisconsin (10-0-0), 137 (11) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: W 5-1 v Bemidji State (10/20), W 5-1 v Bemidji State (10/21)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota (10/28, 10/29)
Wisconsin obliterated Bemidji State. They now travel to Minnesota for what is typically a highly-anticipated matchup. However, with the Gophers in the midst of a down season the Badgers appear to be the favorite.
2. Clarkson (7-0-1), 127 (3) — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: W 4-2 @ St. Lawrence (10/20), W 6-1 v St. Lawrence (10/21)
• Coming Week: v Colgate (10/27), v Cornell (10/28)
Clarkson had their annual nonconference home-and-home with rival St. Lawrence and came away with two dominant victories to earn themselves the title of “Belles of the Ball." They now open ECAC play with a pair against two of their biggest threats to the ECAC crown.
3. Ohio State (7-0-1), 107 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 4-0 @ St. Cloud State (10/20), W 4-0 @ St. Cloud State (10/21)
• Coming Week: No Games
After blowing the Huskies out of the water, the Buckeyes get a weekend off before they take on Wisconsin.
4. Boston College (4-0-1), 95 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: W 4-2 v Quinnipiac (10/17), T 2-2 OT @ Connecticut (10/20), W 4-2 @ Vermont (10/22)
• Coming Week: @ Boston University (10/28), v Maine (10/29)
After dismantling Quinnipiac (as expected), the Eagles fell flat in Storrs. They bounced back and dominated Vermont. They now head down Comm Ave to take on a BU team before hosting a Maine team that always plays them tough.
5. Colgate (6-0-0), 84 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: W 4-3 OT v Mercyhurst (10/20), W 4-1 v Mercyhurst (10/21)
• Coming Week: @ Clarkson (10/27), @ St. Lawrence (10/28)
While still perfect, the Raiders had a tough game against Mercyhurst, before rebounding to sweep the weekend. Next, they'll take on the top of the ECAC. This weekend will likely decide if Colgate is for real.
6. Minnesota (5-2-1), 59 — Last Week: 7
• Last Week: W 4-1 @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/20), W 2-1 @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/21)
• Coming Week: v Wisconsin (10/28, 10/29)
The Gophers were able to pull out two huge road wins to keep them relevant nationally as well as move up to second place in conference. They'll now host their historic rival Wisconsin; if they're able to take any points it will shake the national picture up tremendously.
7. St. Lawrence (2-2-2), 55 — Last week: 6
• Last Week: L 2-4 v Clarkson (10/20), L 1-6 @ Clarkson (10/21)
• Coming Week: v Cornell (10/27), v Colgate (10/28)
This was not the weekend the Saints were looking for. Last year they fared much better in this series, but they will look for revenge in ECAC play. Next week, they'll play two of the top contenders in the ECAC.
8. Northeastern (4-3-1), 40 — Last Week: 10
• Last Week: W 5-1 @ Syracuse (10/20), W 5-1 @ Syracuse (10/21)
• Coming Week: @ Providence (10/28), v Providence (10/29)
The Huskies got what they needed: a pair of dominant victories and some confidence back. They'll attempt to claim the top spot in Hockey East as they play a dangerous Providence team for a pair.
9. Cornell (0-0-0), 26 — Last Week: 9
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ St. Lawrence (10/27), @ Clarkson (10/28)
We finally see the Big Red play for real and they are immediately thrown into the fire, taking on two of the top conference teams. We will quickly see if Cornell belongs here in these rankings
10. Minnesota-Duluth (2-6-0), 17 —Last Week: 8
• Last Week: L 1-4 v Minnesota (10/20), L 1-2 v Minnesota (10/21)
• Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (10/27, 10/28)
Despite the fact that they came away without a point against Minnesota the Bulldogs survive in our poll but only barely. They are reaching must-win territory fast after losing thie last six.
Also Receiving Votes: Robert Morris 13, Providence 5, Princeton 2, Quinnipiac 2, Maine 1