After a weekend with some nonconference matchups we return to the conference grind with some huge matchups that yielded some interesting results.
1. Minnesota (19-1-3), 104 (7) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 4-1 @ St. Cloud State (1/10), W 3-0 @ St. Cloud State (1/11)
• Coming Week: v Ohio State (1/17, 1/18)
The Gophers took care of business this weekend which is more than most could say. The weekend sweep has made them this week’s ‘Belles of the Ball.’ This weekend will be a true test as Ohio State heads to Minnesota for a series, including an outdoor game, which could be a major factor inn the WCHA race.
2. Wisconsin (21-2-1), 100 (2) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 3-2 @ Bemidji State (1/10), L 2-3 @ Bemidji State (1/11)
• Coming Week: No Games
Wisconsin has had a rough 2020 so far. While they are 3-1 the Badgers have had close calls and finally dropped one on the road to Bemidji. There will be a week off before they finish the season series against Minnesota.
3. Northeastern (17-3-1), 91 (2) — Last poll: T-3
• Last week: W 6-0 @ Boston College (1/10), W 3-0 v Boston College (1/12)
• Coming Week: v Connecticut (1/17), @ Connecticut (1/18)
After a rough weekend to start the year off Northeastern came out with a vengeance against rival Boston College, sweeping the Eagles with two shutouts. The coming weekend will be a real test as they play the other Huskies who are a big threat in Hockey East.
4. Cornell (13-1-1), 77 — Last poll: T-3
• Last week: T 1-1 OT @ Union (1/10), W 2-0 @ Rensselaer (1/11)
• Coming Week: v Dartmouth (1/17), v Harvard (1/18)
The tie to Union was downright bad, the struggling against RPI was almost catastrophic. While the Big Red won the game it was a lot closer than it had any right being. The next weekend will likely be a big tell both in the ECAC and Ivy league when they take on Harvard.
5. Ohio State (13-5-4), 64 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 6-0 v Minnesota State (1/10), W 8-4 v Minnesota State (1/10)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota (1/17, 1/18)
Two should win games equaled to wins in Columbus. Now the Gophers will play host the Buckeyes, which will tell us if OSU has a chance at a WCHA title.
6. Princeton (13-4-0), 55 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 7-0 @ Dartmouth (1/10), T 3-3 OT @ Harvard (1/11)
• Coming Week: No Games
Tying Harvard was lucky for the Tigers. By all rights they should’ve split the weekend but were able to bury a literal last minute equalizer to stay afloat.
7. Clarkson (14-2-4), 46 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: L 2-5 @ Yale (1/10), W 6-0 @ Brown (1/11)
• Coming Week: v St. Lawrence (1/17), @ St. Lawrence (1/18)
After a big dud against a Yale team that is slowly becoming a solid team in the ECAC the Golden Knights destroyed Brown. They have a rivalry weekend coming up that should be a lopsided sweep.
8. Boston University (14-5-2), 34 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 1-2 @ Providence (1/10), W 4-1 v Providence (1/11)
• Coming Week: v Holy Cross (1/17), @ Holy Cross (1/18)
A tough split when there was a lot of room to gain ground keeps the Terriers stable. The next two games would be disastrous losses if they drop even a point.
9. Harvard (10-4-0), 16 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: L 1-2 v Quinnipiac (1/10), T 3-3 OT v Princeton (1/11)
• Coming Week: @ Colgate (1/17), @ Cornell (1/18)
With all the carnage around them the Crimson stay put despite a rough two outings. This weekend will clarify both the Ivy and ECAC races, and might go a long way to determining the last at large bid for the NCAAs.
10. Minnesota-Duluth (9-8-3), 8 — Last poll: T-10
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Bemidji State (1/17, 1/18)
The idle Bulldogs were the best off of the teams at the bottom of the poll with all the craziness that happened this past weekend. Now a Beaver team fresh off of a huge upset comes to town and looks to swap spots.
Also Receiving Votes: Robert Morris 4, Bemidji State 2, Colgate 2, Quinnipiac 2