SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Ties and Tiers
A return to the normal ranked teams and a pair of ties highlight this weeks poll.
We have jettisoned St. Anselm from the land of the ranked, but they still sit atop the Also Receiving Votes category. There was some upheaval in the ECAC and some western teams continue to struggle.
1. Wisconsin (16-0-0), 150 (15) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Northeastern (11/24), v Boston University (11/25)
With a week off, the Badgers stayed comfortably atop the poll. They now head even further east, this time for a pair of neutral ice games in our nation’s capital.
T-2. Colgate (13-1-0), 121 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 5-1 @ Yale (11/17), W 5-3 @ Brown (11/18)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (11/24), v Vermont/RIT (11/25)
Colgate is riding high and currently leads the ECAC. The weekend sweep in conference play solidified that and earned them the title of “Belles of the Ball”. They will play in a holiday tournament in Burlington and should easily come out of with a pair of victories.
T-2. Boston College (10-1-2), 121 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: W 3-0 v Connecticut (11/17), T 3-3 OT @ Connecticut (11/18)
• Coming Week: @ Harvard (11/22)
The Eagles control their HEA destiny thanks to mediocrity from the rest of the league. They did their best to create tension with a horrible tie on the road to a very bad Connecticut team. They will have the holidays off to regroup, but play at Harvard right before the break.
4. Clarkson (12-3-1), 112 — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: L 2-3 OT v Quinnipiac (11/17), W 4-0 v Princeton (11/18)
• Coming Week: No Games
The Golden Knights are in a funk, with losses to teams they should beat dropping them on most ballots. They will get the break to work out their issues as they continue to defend their title.
5. Ohio State (10-2-2), 69 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: T 3-3 OT (0-1 SOL) v Bemidji State (11/17), W 5-4 v Bemidji State (11/18)
• Coming Week: @ Robert Morris (11/24, 11/25)
Ever since the Buckeyes traveled to Madison, things have not been the same. They have won most of their games (though they barely beat a bottom of the country Minnesota State team) before losing a shootout this week and only beating Bemidji State by a single goal in the second game. They’ll spend their holiday in western Pennsylvania as they take on Robert Morris, a good test for both teams.
T-6. Cornell (5-3-0), 64 — Last Week: 8
• Last Week: W 5-1 @ Brown (11/17), W 3-0 @ Yale (11/18)
• Coming Week: v Penn State (11/21), @ Providence (11/25, 11/26)
The Big Red have come out firing. The only blemishes on their record are a pair of tight games against the top team in the country, Wisconsin, and a loss to Clarkson. They are currently tied atop the ECAC with Colgate, who they will play a pair against in the coming weeks. First up is a game against Penn State before heading to Rhode Island for a good barometer.
T-6. Minnesota (11-4-1), 64 — Last Week: 7
• Last Week: W 3-0 v St. Cloud State (11/17), W 4-3 v St. Cloud State (11/18)
• Coming Week: @ Lindenwood (11/25, 11/26)
Oh, how the mighty continue to fall. Yes, the Gophers won both games but some perspective is needed; their opponent, St. Cloud State, is in a virtual dead heat with Union for second-to-last in the RPI. Safe to say a one-goal victory at home does not inspire much confidence. They will travel to Saint Louis for a pair of easy games before returning to WCHA play.
8. St. Lawrence (7-4-3), 57 — Last week: 6
• Last Week: T 4-4 OT v Princeton (11/17), W 4-2 v Quinnipiac (11/18)
• Coming Week: No Games
The tie to the Tigers hurt the Saints badly in voter confidence. They were able to right the ship the next night when the Quinnipiac team that had just beaten Clarkson came to town. They will have a week off to prepare for their second set of games against Clarkson, this time with ECAC points on the line.
9. Providence (8-3-3), 30 — Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: W 4-1 @ Merrimack (11/17), W 5-0 v Merrimack (11/18)
• Coming Week: v New Hampshire (11/22), v Cornell (11/25, 11/26)
The Friars return to the mix on the back of a pair of blowout victories over the Merrimack team that was able to knock off Minnesota and play tight with Saint Lawrence. They now get a HEA game with New Hampshire before welcoming Cornell for a big test.
10. Robert Morris (9-1-2), 24 —Last Week: 9
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Ohio State (11/24, 11/25)
The off week was not kind to them as they dropped back down in the polls. After the Colonials enjoy their turkey, they’ll welcome The Ohio State to the table for a pair. The Buckeyes are struggling and some positive results for Robert Morris would do them well come tournament time.
Also Receiving Votes: St. Anselm 8, Northeastern 7, Bemidji State 1