As the playoffs have started, we start to get less teams in consideration of an NCAA tournament bid.
Eighteen teams are left. Four are locked into the tournament, leaving four spots for the remaining 14 teams, 11 of which are autobid only candidates.
1. Cornell (27-1-3), 78 (6) — Last poll: 1
• Last week: W 7-2 v St. Lawrence (2/28), W 3-2 v St. Lawrence (2/29)
• Coming Week: v Harvard (3/7), ECAC Championship (3/8)
After a dominating performance in game one the Big Red might have been looking forward a bit as St. Lawrence made a good faith effort to come back but fell short. Now they look to lock up the top seed and a date with either the CHA champion or an upset champion.
2. Wisconsin (27-4-2), 69 — Last poll: 2
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Minnesota Duluth (3/7), WCHA Championship (3/8)
As the top seed in the WCHA after the regular season, they had a bye through to the WCHA’s Final Four. No games no losses. That was a good result for the Badgers as they now head to Minnesota to try and defend their WCHA crown.
3. Northeastern (30-4-2), 64 (2) — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 5-1 v Vermont (2/27), W 3-1 v Vermont (2/28)
• Coming Week: v Maine (3/7), HEA Championship (3/8)
The Huskies had another pair of slow starts but Vermont was just unable to pull together a full 60-minute game against a more talented and deeper NU roster. Northeastern got some breaks as Hockey East decided to implode around them and have also locked an NCAA tournament bid.
4. Minnesota (27-5-3), 60 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 4-2 v St. Cloud State (2/28), W 7-3 v St. Cloud State (2/29)
• Coming Week: v Ohio State (3/7), WCHA Championship (3/8)
After a bit of a tough game against the western Huskies, Minnesota finished the series strong and now will play host for the WCHA Championships.
5. Ohio State (22-8-6), 49 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 4-2 v Minnesota State (2/28), W 1-0 v Minnesota State (2/29)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota (3/7), WCHA Championship (3/8)
The Buckeyes had a tough weekend against the Mavericks but held on to win both games which is a lot more than a few home teams were able to say this weekend. Next up is a date with Minnesota and an outside chance at NCAA home ice.
6. Princeton (24-6-1), 38 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 5-1 v Quinnipiac (2/28), L 2-3 OT v Quinnipiac (2/29), W 3-2 2OT v Quinnipiac (3/1)
• Coming Week: v Clarkson (3/7), ECAC Championship (3/8)
Princeton wishes they saved some goals from their first game in which they dominated Quinnipiac. The next two games brought nearly three extra periods of hockey but the Tigers advance and look to lock up their NCAA bid.
7. Clarkson (25-5-6), 33 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 2-1 OT v Colgate (2/28), W 2-0 v Colgate (2/29)
• Coming Week: v Princeton (3/7), ECAC Championship (3/8)
The Golden Knights let up a goal at the end of regulation but were able to come back in game one and then avoided a similar fate with an insurance goal late. Now up is Princeton with a chance to confirm a tournament bid.
8. Minnesota-Duluth (18-11-5), 22 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: W 2-1 OT v Bemidji State (2/28), L 1-2 4OT v Bemidji State (2/29), W 4-1 v Bemidji State (3/1)
• Coming Week: v Wisconsin (3/7), WCHA Championship (3/8)
Duluth is lucky not to have been swept as both the first games went into overtime but then they were able to take full control of game three and now will take on Wisconsin.
9. Harvard (18-13-1), 11 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: W 4-0 v Yale (2/28), L 3-4 OT v Yale (2/29), W 4-3 3OT v Yale (3/1)
• Coming Week: @ Cornell (3/7), ECAC Championship (3/8)
Another team lucky to advance as Harvard was able to escape from triple overtime with a win against their rival Yale, which makes them this week’s ‘Belles of the Ball.’ The same Cornell team that swept them in the regular season is the next opponent.
10. Boston University (24-8-4), 8 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 2-3 2OT v Maine (2/28), L 1-2 v Maine (2/29)
• Coming Week: No Games
After a pair of heartbreaking one goal losses including a long double overtime the Terriers became the ninth team to be eliminated from NCAA contention.
Also Receiving Votes: Mercyhurst 3, Quinnipiac 3, Bemidji State 2