A busy final week of the regular season leaves us with a solidified top nine with no one in the top eight dropping a single point. All the action gave us some fun quarterfinal matchups to look forward to.
We would also like to congratulate Long Island University for winning the NEWHA tournament in their first season as a program. The conference does not have an auto-bid yet so that ends their season.
1. Cornell (23-1-3), 95 (6) — Last poll: 1
• Last week: W 4-0 v Rennselaer (2/21), W 5-3 v Union (2/22)
• Coming Week: v St. Lawrence (2/28-3/1)
After demolishing RPI as was expected the Big Red struggled once more against Union. Cornell will be glad the Dutchwomen were unable to qualify for the ECAC tournament. The will take on St. Lawrence who can put up a fight but Cornell is expected to roll.
2. Wisconsin (26-4-2), 88 (1) — Last poll: 2
• Last Week: W 4-1 @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/21), T 5-5 OT (W 6-5 2OT) @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/23)
• Coming Week: No Games
Wisconsin need two points and got five. As a result they got the bye into the WCHA semifinals and have mathematically locked themselves into a home NCAA tournament game.
3. Northeastern (26-4-2), 81 (3) — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 3-0 @ Merrimack (2/21), W 3-0 v Merrimack (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Vermont (2/27- 2-29)
Two shutout wins for the Huskies keep them in prime position for a home NCAA game. Now they must take care of business in their quarterfinal series, a sweep will move them to the brink of locking up that home game.
4. Minnesota (23-5-3), 76 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 5-1 v Minnesota State (2/21), W 3-0 v Minnesota State (2/22)
• Coming Week: v St. Cloud State (2/27- 2-29)
It was a rather humdrum week for the Gophers as the Mavericks seem to have run out of steam with all their recent upsets. This weekend brings one of the other Huskies to Minneapolis as Minnesota looks to stay near the top of the poll.
5. Ohio State (18-8-6), 58 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 3-0 v St. Cloud State (2/21), W 6-2 v St. Cloud State (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (2/27- 2-29)
After putting St. Cloud behind them rather easily the Buckeyes drew the Mankato team that made Ohio States early season rather rough, while there was revenge in Columbus the early season matchup might be in the back of their minds.
6. Princeton (20-5-1), 50 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 5-1 v Brown (2/21), W 5-1 v Yale (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Quinnipiac (2/27- 2-29)
The Tigers beat up the bottom of the Ivy League and locked up second place in the ECAC earning them this week’s title of ‘Belles of the Ball’. Their reward, likely the toughest matchup any team in this poll has for the quarterfinals.
7. Clarkson (21-5-6), 38 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 4-1 @ Harvard (2/21), W 2-1 @ Dartmouth (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Colgate (2/27- 2-29)
The win over Harvard set Clarkson up for an easy path to third but they decided to make their life more difficult in Hanover as they let Dartmouth stick around well into the game. Coming to Potsdam will be a Colgate team that has garnered notice and won’t be an easy out.
8. Boston University (22-6-4), 29 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: W 6-2 v Connecticut (2/21), W 3-1 v Connecticut (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Maine (2/27- 2-29)
This weekend was supposed to be difficult for the Terriers but UConn was dispatched with ease. Now up is a Maine team that BU scored nine goals on in three games.
9. Minnesota-Duluth (16-9-5), 25 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: L 1-4 v Wisconsin (2/21), T 5-5 OT (L 5-6 2OT) v Wisconsin (2/23)
• Coming Week: v Bemidji State (2/27- 2-29)
The Bulldogs walked away with only a single point and were unlucky to do so as they threw away a two goal lead in the final period of regulation in game two to then lose in double overtime. Bemidji State will come to visit for their quarterfinal series.
10. Harvard (18-11-3), 5 — Last poll: NR
• Last week: L 1-4 v Clarkson (2/21), W 3-0 v St. Lawrence (2/22)
• Coming Week: v Yale (2/27- 2-29)
Some one has to be here, and half of the voters don’t think it should be Harvard. Name recognition and the fact that they didn’t lose both games makes the Crimson our tenth member for this week, though that is subject to change if they struggle against arch rival Yale.
Also Receiving Votes: Providence 2, Quinnipiac 2, Bemidji State 1