SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Paint It Red
Two more trophies were earned this weekend and no one wanted to be atop our poll this week.
With one week to go the tiers have seemingly solidified with lots of movement inside of them. The teams atop the poll all decided to not take advantage of the struggles of the others while the bottom is still a mess.
1. Wisconsin (27-3-2), 145 (11) — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: W 5-0 @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/9), T 3-3 OT (1-0 SOW) @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota (2/16, 2/17)
The Badgers wasted no time returning to the top. Despite a rather disappointing tie to Duluth, the Badgers locked up the top seed in the WCHA. Up next is a rather anti-climactic series against a reeling Minnesota team.
2. Clarkson (27-4-1), 131 (3) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: L 0-2 @ Princeton (2/9), W 2-0 @ Quinnipiac (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Dartmouth (2/16), v Harvard (2/17)
Disappointment is the theme of the week for Clarkson. A painful loss to Princeton cost them from the top spot in this poll, muddied a clear path to the ECAC crown and put their NCAA tournament seeding in flux. The final week of games should be a pair of easy wins.
3. Boston College (25-3-3), 122 (1) — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: W 5-2 v Northeastern (2/6), L 1-2 v New Hampshire (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Boston University (2/13), @ Maine (2/16, 2/17)
After withstanding a Northeastern team that decided to show up for the Beanpot, the Eagles suffered a major Beanpot hangover, losing to UNH. Up next is a trophy game against a Boston University team that has never won a Beanpot as a varsity program, then a trip to Orono for a pair.
4. Colgate (27-4-1), 111 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 2-0 v Brown (2/9), v W 2-0 Yale (2/10)
• Coming Week: v RPI (2/16), v Union (2/17)
The Raiders swept the weekend despite missing some key players at the Olympics. In doing so, they kept their ECAC dreams alive. They’ll end the season playing a pair of teams that will likely miss the ECAC tournament.
5. Cornell (17-7-3), 79— Last Week: 6
• Last Week: W 5-0 v Syracuse (2/6), W 4-0 v Yale (2/9), W 6-1 v Brown (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Union (2/16), v RPI (2/17)
What a weekend for Cornell. The Big Red won the Ivy League title and locked up home ice in the ECAC tournament, earning them the title of Belles of the Ball this week. To end the season, a couple of bottom of the table teams will be coming to Ithaca.
6. Ohio State (20-8-4), 72 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: L 1-4 @ Minnesota State (2/9), W 3-2 @ Minnesota State (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Bemidji State (2/16, 2/17)
Not a good weekend for The Ohio State Buckeyes at all. After shockingly sweeping Wisconsin last weekend, they barely managed to salvage a single win against a Mankato team that is among the worst in the nation. Bemidji State will be coming to Columbus to wrap up the season.
7. St. Lawrence (17-9-4), 53 — Last week: 7
• Last Week: T 1-1 OT@ Quinnipiac (2/9), W 3-2 OT @ Princeton (2/10)
• Coming Week: v Harvard (2/16), v Dartmouth (2/17)
A tough weekend for the Saints leaves them tied for third, but they at least locked up home ice. This weekend St. Lawrence will host a pair of week Ivy League opponents.
8. Minnesota (20-8-3), 49 — Last Week: 8
• Last Week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (2/16, 2/17)
No bad results for the Gophers this weekend. To finish their season they will be heading to Madison to play a Badgers team that has not been on top of their game of late.
9. Robert Morris (17-6-4), 32 —Last Week: 9
• Last Week: W 1-0 v Lindenwood (2/9), W 5-0 v Lindenwood (2/10)
• Coming Week: @ Mercyhurst (2/16, 2/17)
The Colonials got the results they needed and have the lead on the CHA table. Robert Morris can lock up the top seed with three points.
T-10. Providence (15-11-7), 10 — Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: T 1-1 OT v Maine (2/10), W 2-1 OT v Maine (2/11)
• Coming Week: v Northeastern (2/18)
Two OT games led the Friars to locking up home ice in Hockey East. With one game remaining against Northeastern all that is left is seeding.
T-10. Maine (17-10-5), 10 — Last Week: 10
• Last Week: T 1-1 OT @ Providence (2/10), L 1-2 OT @ Providence (2/11)
• Coming Week: v Boston College (2/16, 2/17)
Tough breaks for Maine in Rhode Island leave the Black Bears scrambling to lock up seeding in Hockey East. Coming to town will be a BC team fresh off the Beanpot.
Also Receiving Vote: Northeastern 9, Princeton 1