SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Interconference intensity
A couple of holiday tournaments gave us new and exciting matchups.
It was a busy holiday week for some while others decided to take it off We are coming down to the last few games before the semester break.
1. Wisconsin (16-1-1), 114 (7) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 5-1 v Harvard (11/29), W 5-3 v Boston College (11/30)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (12/6, 12/7)
A trip to Nashville turned into a nice vacation that included a pair of resume-boosting wins. Both games had more tightness then the Badgers would have liked but a win is a win. Now they play host to a reeling Duluth team.
2. Minnesota (14-1-3), 110 (3) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: T 2-2 OT (0-1 SOL) v Boston College (11/29), W 4-0 v Harvard (11/30)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (12/7)
The Gophers are lucky to have only come away with a tie against Boston College on the back of a lack of video replay, but a thorough beating of Harvard was a nice rebound heading into a non-conference matchup with Mankato.
3. Northeastern (13-2-0), 91 (2) — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 11-0 v Holy Cross (11/29)
• Coming Week: @ Holy Cross (12/4)
The game winning goal came a mere 63 seconds into the game on Friday. The rest of the game went accordingly. Up next is the same Crusaders team this time in Worcester.
4. Cornell (9-1-1), 84 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 4-1 @ Syracuse (11/26), L 1-3 @ Ohio State (11/29), W 5-1 @ Ohio State (11/30)
• Coming Week: @ Princeton (12/6), @ Quinnipiac (12/7)
After taking care of Syracuse as expected the Big Red travelled west and split against Ohio State. Coming up will be a very telling weekend as they play Ivy rival Princeton and upstart Quinnipiac on the road.
5. Princeton (9-2-0), 66 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Cornell (12/6), v Colgate (12/7)
The Tigers announced an exhibition against the PWHPA and seemed to take care of the pro players including former Tiger Kelsey Koelzer, but otherwise took the holiday week off. Now they will play host to rival Cornell in a crucial Ivy and ECAC gam, Colgate will also be coming to town.
6. Ohio State (10-4-4), 60 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 3-1 v Cornell (11/29), L 1-5 v Cornell (11/30)
• Coming Week: No Games
A split for the Buckeyes gives them a big win and keeps them afloat in the second tier of teams nationally and earned them the title of this week’s ‘Belles of the Ball’. There will be a week off before heading to New Jersey for a pair against Princeton
7. Clarkson (12-2-4), 53 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 4-0 v Minnesota State (11/29), W 3-1 v Penn State (11/30)
• Coming Week: v Rensselaer (12/6), v Union (12/7)
A trophy is always fun and their trip to Vermont led to a tournament victory against some weak opposition. Now they play host to two bad conference foes.
8. Boston College (11-4-2), 46 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: T 2-2 OT (1-0 SOW) v Minnesota (11/29), L 3-5 v Wisconsin (11/30)
• Coming Week: @ Boston University (12/6), v Boston University (12/7)
The Eagles were unlucky to not beat Minnesota when they had a goal that was unable to be reviewed and the had a couple of bad bounces that ended up being the difference against Wisconsin. BC will need to throw those results out of their minds as they finish up their season series against Boston University in a pair that could be critical for Hockey East down the line
9. Boston University (10-4-1), 12 — Last poll: ARV
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Boston College (12/6), @ Boston College (12/7)
A week off before playing their hated rival should do the Terriers some good as they will need all four points.
10. Minnesota-Duluth (8-6-2), 10 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: L 2-4 @ Quinnipiac (11/29), W 5-1 v Connecticut (11/30)
• Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (12/6, 12/7)
Despite a loss to Quinnipiac the Bulldogs stay alive here due to Harvard still being in free fall This weekend will be a critical test as they head to Madison where any points would be a huge success
Also Receiving Votes: Harvard 6, Robert Morris 4, Colgate 3 Mercyhurst 1