After the long break we had some fun nonconference games mixed in with midseason tournaments to welcome us back as the home stretch of the college season starts.
1. Wisconsin (20-1-1), 86 (5) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 3-1 v Robert Morris (1/4), W 4-3 OT v Northeastern (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (1/10, 1/11)
The Badgers showed why they are sitting atop this poll. They beat a scrappy Robert Morris team and then got the bounces they needed to take out Northeastern in overtime. Next up is a trip to Bemidji in a return to conference play.
2. Minnesota (17-1-3), 78 (2) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 6-1 v Yale (1/4), W 4-1 v Yale (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ St. Cloud State (1/10, 1/11)
A couple of easy nonconference wins welcomed the Gophers back to playing hockey. Now they get a pair against St. Cloud.
T-3. Northeastern (15-3-1), 69 (2) — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 4-2 v Vermont (12/30), T 1-1 OT (2-0 SOW) v Colgate (1/4), L 3-4 OT v Wisconsin (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ Boston College (1/10), v Boston College (1/12)
The Huskies didn’t get much luck this weekend after a late tying goal by Colgate and then some bad bounces led to a Wisconsin win. While they showed they can stick with the top teams, Northeastern will need to get back to their winning ways when they play a pair against rival Boston College.
T-3. Cornell (13-1-1), 69 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 6-2 v Mercyhurst (1/4), W 2-1 OT v Mercyhurst (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ Union (1/10), @ Rensselaer (1/11)
Cornell keeps up their winning ways with a sweep of Mercyhurst sets up the Big Red nicely as they resume play in the ECAC.
5. Ohio State (11-5-4), 48 — Last poll: T-5
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (1/10, 1/11)
After splitting a pair against Princeton right before the break, the Buckeyes took an extra week off before starting up play again, hosting Mankato.
6. Princeton (13-4-0), 47 — Last poll: T-5
• Last week: W 5-0 v Saint Anselm (1/3), W 10-0 v Saint Anselm (1/4)
• Coming Week: @ Dartmouth (1/10), @ Harvard (1/11)
The Tigers came back from Vegas with a split and then enjoyed a couple of weeks off. They essentially took another one off as they hosted DII Saint Anselm. The coming weekend brings a pair of trips for Ivy and ECAC play.
7. Clarkson (14-2-4), 42 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ Yale (1/10), @ Brown (1/11)
Clarkson was still off last weekend and will start up play with a pair of road games against two Ivy league teams.
8. Boston University (13-4-2), 23 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: W 3-2 OT v Maine (1/4), T 3-3 OT v Maine (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ Providence (1/10), v Providence (1/11)
The Terriers were very lucky to walk away with three points this weekend as both games went to overtime and they spotted the Black Bears a three goal lead in the second game. Up next is a home-and-home against Providence.
9. Harvard (10-4-0), 11 — Last poll: ARV
• Last week: W 7-1 v Boston College (12/31)
• Coming Week: v Quinnipiac (1/10), v Princeton (1/11)
Harvard returns to the poll by destroying Boston College and knocking them out of the poll, earning the Crimson the title of ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. Now their perfect ECAC record is on the line as they host two good teams.
T-10. Robert Morris (11-7-2), 8 — Last poll: NR
• Last week: L 1-3 v Wisconsin (1/4), W 6-5 v Colgate (1/5)
• Coming Week: @ RIT (1/10, 1/11)
The Colonials had their chances against top ranked Wisconsin but ultimately fell short, then in a wild shootout edged Colgate on a last second goal. This weekend brings a return to CHA play and two must win games.
T-10. Minnesota-Duluth (9-8-3), 8 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: T 2-2 OT (W 3-2 2OT) v Minnesota State (1/4), W 2-0 v Bemidji State (1/5)
• Coming Week: No Games
Duluth stays in the poll barely after taking a tie against Mankato and then beating Bemidji to win the Minnesota Cup. They have no games this weekend.
Also Receiving Votes: Boston College 5, Colgate 1