SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Cascading conclusion
We are almost at the end and we won't really be able to settle much until the top teams collide in the NCAA tournament.
As we approach the end of the regular season with only one weekend remaining for everyone but the CHA we have locked into the top nine but no one really has a clue as to who should round out the top 10.
1. Cornell (23-1-3), 76 (5) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 4-0 @ Brown (2/14), W 5-1 @ Yale (2/15)
• Coming Week: v Rennselaer (2/21), v Union (2/22)
We have a new top team as everyone else seems to be crashing around the Big Red. Two easy wins against two weak Ivy teams wraps up their Ivy League slate with a perfect record and clinched the ECAC title. The only thing these next two games hold any meaning for is the Pairwise rankings though the Big Red have essentially locked up a home ice slot.
2. Wisconsin (26-4-2), 70 — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: L 1-3 v Ohio State (2/15), T 1-1 OT (W 2-1 2OT)v Ohio State (2/16)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/21, 2/23)
The Badgers are struggling at the worst time. All that the Bucky faithful can hope for is that this is a rude wakeup call for them. They will only need to get two of the available points in their trip to Duluth to wrap up the regular season crown.
3. Northeastern (26-4-2), 65 (3) — Last poll: 3
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (W 4-3 2OT) @ Boston University (2/11), L 1-2 OT v Providence (2/14), W 4-1 @ Providence (2/15)
• Coming Week: @ Merrimack (2/21), v Merrimack (2/22)
After a thrilling and exhausting Beanpot win, it was officially a tie, the Huskies lost focus a little bit as the dropped the season series to Providence after they had multiple goals overturned in the game, they would rebound with an emphatic win the next day. Up next is a pair against cellar dwelling Merrimack with a chance to lock up a home ice slot for the NCAAs.
4. Minnesota (23-5-3), 60 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (2/21, 2/22)
As usual having a week off made our voters like a team more as Minnesota gained some ground back and look to get a pair of easy wins against a team that has suddenly made teams lives difficult.
5. Ohio State (18-8-6), 48 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 3-1 @ Wisconsin (2/15) T 1-1 (L 1-2 2OT) @ Wisconsin (2/16)
• Coming Week: v St. Cloud State (2/21, 2/22)
You never know which Buckeye team is going to show up. This week the good Buckeyes came to play and took four points of six off of a reeling Badgers team, again making them our ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. Now as long as they get one point more off St. Cloud then Duluth can take off of Wisconsin, which should be doable, then they will lock up the third spot.
6. Princeton (20-5-1), 38 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 4-0 @ St. Lawrence (2/14), L 1-2 @ Clarkson (2/15)
• Coming Week: v Brown (2/21), v Yale (2/22)
Despite the scare of losing to Clarkson the remaining games should net Princeton the second seed though Yale is not a team to look past.
7. Clarkson (21-5-6), 32 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: L 1-2 v Quinnipiac (2/14), W 2-1 v Princeton (2/15)
• Coming Week: @ Harvard (2/21), @ Dartmouth (2/22)
While the win over Princeton was big the loss to Quinnipiac could cost them big both nationally and in the ECAC. This weekend lets them control their destiny for third as they travel to take on the Harvard team directly ahead of them in the standings.
8. Boston University (22-6-4), 22 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (L 3-4 2OT) v Northeastern (2/11), W 1-0 @ New Hampshire (2/15), W 2-0 v New Hampshire 2/16)
• Coming Week: v Connecticut (2/21, 2/22)
The loss to Northeastern after tying the game in the last minute and dominating the first overtime was absolutely devastating for the Terriers. It showed this weekend as they struggled a little against UNH but were able to pull off two victories to clinch second in Hockey East. Their last game is against UConn, who still can move up the standings.
9. Minnesota-Duluth (16-9-5), 19 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: W 5-4 @ Minnesota State (2/14), T 1-1 OT (W 2-1 2OT) @ Minnesota State (2/15)
• Coming Week: v Wisconsin (2/21, 2/23)
Dropping points to the Mavericks is unacceptable if your hope is to be an at large eligible team, especially with the teams ahead of you dropping silly games. The Bulldogs definitely threw away a great opportunity to move up in the pairwise with that tie against Mankato.
10. Quinnipiac (18-11-3), 7 — Last poll: ARV
• Last week: W 2-1 @ Clarkson (2/14), L 2-3 @ St. Lawrence (2/15)
• Coming Week: v Yale (2/21), v Brown (2/22)
Quinnipiac is here because Harvard fell flat on their face to Boston College and Union while the Bobcats only stumbled against St. Lawrence. They control their destiny for fifth but could still finish as low as eighth with any stumbling.
Also Receiving Votes: Bemidji State 1, Mercyhurst 1, Providence 1