SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Beanpot Burnout
Titles are being clinched and we are getting ever closer to crowning a champion.
We are getting closer to the end of the regular season and lots of races are tightening. There are a few big matchups left that will have some huge pairwise implications to look forward to.
1. Wisconsin (26-4-0), 115 (7) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 7-2 v Minnesota State (2/9), W 4-1 v Minnesota State (2/10)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota-Duluth (2/15, 2/16)
The Badgers took care of Mankato and moved ahead of the Gophers in the WCHA, they control their destiny for that trophy. Wisconsin will be traveling to Duluth to play a very erratic Bulldogs team.
2. Minnesota (25-4-1), 113 (5) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (2/15, 2/16)
After a bye week the Gophers return to business with a pair against a very bad Mavericks teams. Two wins will keep them at the top of the Pairwise.
3. Northeastern (21-3-4), 93 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (SOL 1-2) v Boston University (2/5), W 6-3 v Merrimack (2/8)
• Next week: v Boston College (2/12), @ Providence (2/16), v Providence (2/17)
It was a heartbreaking night on Huntington Avenue Tuesday night as the Huskies dropped a shootout to Boston University in the Beanpot. They rebounded to lock up the top seed in WHEA against Merrimack. Tuesday brings the consolation game and a chance to essentially lock up home ice for the NCAA tournament.
4. Clarkson (23-6-1), 81 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 4-0 v Cornell (2/8), L 3-4 OT v Colgate (2/9)
• Next week: @ Dartmouth (2/15), @ Harvard (2/16)
After taking Cornell down, Clarkson dropped a painful one to Colgate in overtime which will have some lasting effects. They will travel to New England for a pair of contests against Ivy Leaguers.
5. Princeton (17-3-5), 78 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 8-2 @ Brown (2/8), W 4-2 @ Yale (2/9)
• This week: v Union (2/15), v RPI (2/16)
Two wins and the Tigers have locked up the Ivy League, earning them the title of “Belles of the Ball.” Princeton is running out of wiggle room in the national picture though so they will need to keep taking care of business.
6. Cornell (16-3-6), 56 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: L 0-4 @ Clarkson (2/8), T 1-1 OT@ St. Lawrence (2/9)
• This week: v Brown (2/15), v Yale (2/16)
This was a rough weekend for Cornell, while they did lock up home ice for the ECAC tournament the three points they dropped will play a major role in their seeding. These next two games will be crucial for them.
7. Boston College (20-10-0), 39 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: L 1-4 @ Harvard (2/5), W 7-1 v New Hampshire (2/8)
• Next week: v Northeastern (2/12), v Maine (2/15, 2/16)
The winning streak was fun while it lasted for the Eagles, but last week saw them run into a good goalie in the Beanpot. They have completely lost their wiggle room in the national figure with that loss and now look to beat Northeastern again.
8. Boston University (16-6-7), 32 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: T 3-3 OT (2-1 SOW) v Northeastern (2/5), W 7-1 v Holy Cross (2/9)
• Next week: @ Harvard (2/12), v New Hampshire (2/16), @ New Hampshire (2/17)
After a big upset of Northeastern the Terriers cemented the week by beating Holy Cross. Up next is Harvard in the Beanpot championship, as Boston University looks for their first Beanpot in their varsity program’s history.
9. Colgate (17-8-5), 29 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: T 2-2 OT @ St. Lawrence (2/8), W 4-3 OT @ Clarkson (2/9)
• Next week: v Yale (2/15), v Brown (2/16)
After a tough tie to St. Lawrence the Raiders bounced back with a huge win over Clarkson as they look to have home ice for the ECAC tournament. They have two weaker opponents coming to town as they try to get back to the NCAAs.
10. Ohio State (17-11-0), 21 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 2-3 v Bemidji State (2/8), W 5-1 v Bemidji State (2/9)
• Next week: No Games
The Buckeyes are still in this poll only because there is no one that seems to want to take their spot as Duluth dropped a bad one this past weekend. Ohio State will be idle for the coming weekend and hopes no one will pass them.
Also Receiving Votes: Minnesota-Duluth 2, Providence 1