Including the NEWHA, there are only 24 games remaining in the season, nine total in the HEA, ECAC, and WCHA and the 10 NCAA tournament games. This week, we had a historic upset that really wasn’t much of an upset and a few near misses.
For the bracket, only 14 non-NEWHA teams remain for the 11 remain spots as one has already been claimed.
1. Minnesota (28-7-1), 76 (4) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 4-0 v St. Thomas (2/25), W 5-1 v St. Thomas (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (3/5), WCHA Championship (3/6)/
The Gophers knew what they were getting having played the Tommies last weekend as well and it was a walkover once again as Minnesota goes to host the WCHA Final Face-off.
2. Ohio State (27-6-0), 75 (4) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 6-0 v St. Cloud State (2/25), W 3-0 v St. Cloud State (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Wisconsin (3/5), WCHA Championship (3/6)/
Ohio State was expected to cruise and they did with no need to pull their goalie either night. Now they take on a Wisconsin team they handled mercilessly just the other weekend, who is out for revenge if they want to hoist some hardware.
3. Northeastern (28-4-2), 61 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: W 8-0 v Merrimack (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Maine (3/2), HEA Championship (3/5)/
You might be seeing a trend o four top teams blowing out their opponents and Northeastern very much continued that as they jumped out immediately to take out a Merrimack team that was celebrating their first ever tournament victory. Now they continue their journey to a fifth straight HEA title.
4. Wisconsin (25-6-4), 59 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: W 2-1 v Bemidji State (2/25), W 5-0 v Bemidji State (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Ohio State (3/5), WCHA Championship (3/6)/
After a bit of a scare in game one the Badgers remembered they were the defending national champions and knocked Bemidji out. Now they get a rematch with Ohio State.
5. Colgate (28-7-1), 40 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: W 1-0 OT v Cornell (2/25), W 3-2 v Cornell (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Quinnipiac (3/4), ECAC Championship (3/5)/
While the games were somewhat tight the teams around the Raiders all faltered giving Colgate room to jump right up in this poll, and become ‘ Belles of the Ball’ once again. This year literally anything could happen in the remaining ECAC games so if Colgate can stay strong they have a good chance at home ice in the NCAA tourney.
6. Minnesota-Duluth (24-10-1), 37 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 5-4 v Minnesota State (2/25), L 1-3 v Minnesota State (2/26), W 3-2 OT v Minnesota State (2/27)
- Coming Week: @ Minnesota (3/5), WCHA Championship (3/6)/
Duluth narrowly avoided disaster and advanced in the WCHA but could have just as easily been swept out by Mankato. Up next is host Minnesota.
T-7. Quinnipiac (25-8-3), 31 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: W 5-1 v Clarkson (2/25), W 4-0 v Clarkson (2/26)
- Coming Week: v Colgate (3/4), ECAC Championship (3/5)/
The Bobcats were part of the only top 10 matchup this week and they handled Clarkson beautifully. Their rear is an equally hot Colgate team and a shot at the ECAC title.
T-7. Yale (24-7-1), 31 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: L 2-4 v St. Lawrence (2/25), W 4-2 v St. Lawrence (2/26), W 3-2 v St. Lawrence (2/27)
- Coming Week: v Princeton (3/4), ECAC Championship (3/5)/
Yale narrowly avoided disaster and recovered against St. Lawrence to advance as the host of the ECAC championship weekend.
9. Harvard (22-9-1), 22 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: L 2-4 v Princeton (2/25), W 2-1 OT v Princeton (2/26), L 2-3 v Princeton (2/27)
- Coming Week: No Games/
Harvard lost to Princeton but will be dancing unless Princeton wins the ECAC and Northeastern does not win HEA.
10. Clarkson (22-11-3), 5 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: L 1-5 @ Quinnipiac (2/25), L 0-4 @ Quinnipiac (2/26)
- Coming Week: No Games/
Not a great weekend for Clarkson and now they await in the last tournament position. They have similar scenarios to Harvard but instead of both needing to happen if either one happens they are out.
Also Receiving Votes: Vermont 3