SB Nation’s NCAA Poll: Showcase Showdowns
This weekend brought a number of uncommon matchups that helped most of our voters make some decisions.
We are almost to the semester break but we will have a few more exciting matchups to go before we take a few weeks off.
1. Wisconsin (15-0-1), 90 (9) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: v Minnesota (12/3, 12/4)/
After a week off they get to play host to their rivals who are reeling right now.
2. Ohio State (14-2-0), 81 — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 5-2 v St. Lawrence (11/26), W 4-2 v Penn State (11/27)
- Coming Week: @ Minnesota Duluth (12/3, 12/4)/
A trip to our nations capital produced a pair of wins over non-conference foes. They will now travel out to Duluth to play the other Western team in the DC Showcase.
3. Minnesota (12-4-0), 67 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: W 4-0 v Mercyhurst (11/26), L 1-2 v Colgate (11/27)
- Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (12/3, 12/4)/
After dominating the Lakers, the Gophers were unable to complete a season sweep over Colgate. Now up is a trip to Madison against a Wisconsin team that has yet to falter.
4. Northeastern (14-2-1), 60 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: W 2-0 @ Princeton (11/26), W 3-1 @ Princeton (11/27)
- Coming Week: v Cornell (12/4, 12/5)/
The Huskies were not perfect but they got the job done. Not all of our voters were impressed but the wins were crucial for the PWR. This weekend brings Cornell to Historic Matthews Arena for their last action this year.
5. Quinnipiac (15-1-2), 56 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: W 3-2 OT v Yale (11/27), W 3-2 v Connecticut (11/28)
- Coming Week: No Games/
Two tight wins are two wins for the Bobcats as they reign supreme in the Nutmeg State. They won’t be back until the New Year.
6. Colgate (15-4-1), 44 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: W 2-1 v Boston College (11/26), W 2-1 v Minnesota (11/27)
- Coming Week: No Games /
In their final action the Raiders were able to avenge their losses to Minnesota earlier in the season, making them this week’s ‘Belle’s of the Ball.’
7. Minnesota-Duluth (7-5-0), 33 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: L 2-3 v Penn State (11/26), W 4-3 OT v St. Lawrence (11/27)
- Coming Week:v Ohio State (12/3, 12/4)/
Duluth has had a very up and down start to the season and their trip to DC was a prime example. Now a visit from Ohio State will either take them out of the WCHA race or thrust them right back into the national picture.
8. Yale (9-3-1), 29 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: W 2-1 OT @ Long Island (11/23), L 2-3 OT v Quinnipiac (11/27), W 4-1 v Sacred Heart (11/28)
- Coming Week: No Games /
After struggling against the Sharks the Bulldogs were unable to hold off Quinnipiac as they fall to a disappointing third int he Nutmeg Classic.
T-9. Princeton (5-4-1), 13 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: L 0-2 v Northeastern (11/26), L 1-3 v Northeastern (11/27)
- Coming Week: @ Providence (12/3, 12/4)/
The Tigers were run out the building for most of their first game but came back strong to give the Huskies a run for their money in the second game. Princeton will head to Rhode Island to take on Providence who has potential to be dangerous.
T-9. Clarkson (14-2-2), 13 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: W 4-1 @ Maine (11/26), W 5-2 @ Maine (11/27)
- Coming Week: v St. Lawrence (12/2), @ St. Lawrence (12/4)/
A trip to Orono was supposed to deliver a pair of easy wins. While they got both, they had a slightly tougher outing than the shorelines would represent.
Also Receiving Votes: Harvard 8, Penn State 1