SB Nation’s NCAA Poll: Complete Chaos
We are getting midweek reschedules left and right as the season slowly wraps up.
This season is chaos. We have lost our consensus on who makes up the ten teams here and we can’t decide who should sit at the top. At this point it looks like whichever goalie is hot for the right two weekends will win the trophy.
T-1. Ohio State (21-5-0), 74 (3) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 5-0 @ Minnesota State (2/4), W 7-1 @ Minnesota State (2/5)
- Coming Week: @ St. Cloud State (2/8), @ Bemidji State (2/11, 2/12)/
As expected for the Buckeye they had two easy wins. This week should bring three more.
T-1. Minnesota (22-7-1), 74 (4) — Last poll: 3
- Last week: W 7-0 v Bemidji State (2/4), W 5-2 v Bemidji State (2/5)
- Coming Week:@ St. Cloud State (2/11), v St. Cloud State (2/12)/
Same boat here as the Gophers steam rolled Bemidji as they continue to march towards another WCHA crown, while they don’t control their destiny the schedule favors them heavily
3. Wisconsin (21-4-4), 67 (1) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 3-1 @ St. Thomas (1/31), L 0-3 v Minnesota Duluth (2/4), L 1-5 v Minnesota Duluth (2/5)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota State (2/12, 2/13)/
The Badgers haven’t swept anyone since last year. They now need help to even finish second in the league. Their pair against Mankato will either right the ship or blow up the Badger’s season.
4. Northeastern (22-4-1), 52 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: L 1-3 v Boston College (2/1), W 5-0 @ Merrimack (2/4)
- Coming Week: v Boston University (2/8), v Maine (2/11, 2/12)/
That loss to BC was both understandable in the sense that no matter how bad a team is the Beanpot elevates your game, and unforgivable as the Huskies have lost yet another game with a trophy not he line. Things rebounded a little with a drubbing in Andover but tomorrow night will be very telling.
5. Minnesota-Duluth (18-9-0), 50 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 5-1 @ St. Cloud State (2/1), W 3-0 @ Wisconsin (2/4), L 1-5 @ Wisconsin (2/5)
- Coming Week: v St. Thomas (2/11, 2/12)/
The Bulldogs locked up home ice this weekend and got some serious credit with our voters and earned the title ‘Belles of the Ball,’ for the week. This weekend should be a simple exercise in strength.
6. Harvard (17-6-0), 35 — Last poll: T-6
- Last week: W 4-1 v Boston University (2/1), L 2-6 @ Colgate (2/4), W 6-3 @ Cornell (2/5)
- Coming Week: v Boston College (2/8), v Princeton (2/11), v Quinnipiac (2/12)/
As stated before the Beanpot elevates competition, the corollary is it sucks all the attention and their is typically a Beanpot slump as evidence by the blowout in Hamilton. On the bright side their escape form Ithaca has clinched an Ivy League crown for the Crimson. Now there is a second trophy on the line as they take on BC for the Beanpot before a crucial ECAC weekend.
7. Colgate (21-7-1), 29 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: L 1-3 v Clarkson (2/1), W 6-2 v Harvard (2/4), L 2-3 @ Cornell (2/6)
- Coming Week: v Union (2/11), v Rensselear (2/12)/
Which Colgate team are we going to get: the one capable of a deep NCAA run or this weekends product that exemplifies their inconsistency. This weekend should right the ship however.
8. Quinnipiac (19-7-3), 23 — Last poll: T-6
- Last week: W 2-1 OT @ Clarkson (2/4), L 1-2 @ St. Lawrence (2/5), L 1-5 @ St. Lawrence (2/6)
- Coming Week: @ Rensselaer (2/8), @ Dartmouth (2/11), @ Harvard (2/12)/
The Bobcats started the calendar year as the PWR number one. It has been all down hill from there as another bad pair of results. This wee should bring a pair of wins but their trip to Brighton will be a huge test.
9. Yale (18-5-1), 18 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: W 3-0 @ Rensselaer (2/4), W 7-0 @ Union (2/5)
- Coming Week: v Union (2/8), v Clarkson (2/11), v St. Lawrence (2/12)/
Yale benefited by just taking care of business. They Weill host a pair of tough opponents this weekend as they look to hold onto home ice.
10. Clarkson (21-6-3), 9 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: W 3-1 @ Colgate (2/1), L 1-2 OT v Quinnipiac (2/4), W 7-1 v Princeton (2/5)
- Coming Week: @ Yale (2/11), @ Brown (2/12)/
The Knights kinda just fell here because there is no consensus as to who belongs here. If they had been able to take that Quinnipiac game it would’ve helped their case but this weekend sees Clarkson travel for the southern New England Ivies.
Also Receiving Votes: Vermont 4, Connecticut 2, Cornell 2, Boston College 1