SB Nation’s Women’s College Hockey Division I Poll: Chaotic Championships
It’s time to dance and the excitement is just starting.
There was no shortage of surprises last week and as a result we have had a lot of movement in our poll.
1. Clarkson (33-4-1), 138 (12) — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: W 4-2 v St. Lawrence (3/3), W 3-0 v Colgate (3/4)
• Coming Week: v Mercyhurst (3/10)
With a pair of nice wins on home ice the Golden Knights are once again atop the poll. Clarkson hopes to do better than the last time they were here, but should be able to easily dispatch the visiting Lakers.
2. Wisconsin (30-4-2), 127 (2) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: W 4-1 v Bemidji State (3/3), L 1-3 @ Minnesota (3/4)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota (3/10)
After handling Bemidji State the Badgers saw their winning streak against the Golden Gophers come to an abrupt end. Now Bucky will have a chance for revenge on home ice.
Final in Minneapolis— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) March 4, 2018
Golden Gophers 3, #Badgers 1
All good things come to an end as Minnesota snaps Wisconsin's 13-game WCHA tournament winning streak
3. Colgate (32-5-1), 108 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 5-4 v Cornell (3/3), L 0-3 @ Clarkson (3/4)
• Coming Week: v Northeastern (3/10)
After some literal last second heroics against Cornell the Raiders were dispatched with ease in the championship game. Next up for Colgate is a meeting with a Husky team that they managed to sweep earlier in the season.
4. Boston College (30-4-3), 99 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: L 2-4 v Connecticut (3/3)
• Coming Week: v Ohio State (3/10)
It was not a good weekend for Boston College. After getting beat by Natalie Snodgrass the Eagles fell to fourth in the PWR, giving them a matchup with Ohio State.
5. Minnesota (24-10-3), 75 — Last Week: 8
• Last Week: W 2-0 v Ohio State (3/3), W 3-1 v Wisconsin (3/4)
• Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (3/10)
Coming into last weekend the Gophers had a résumé that was devoid of quality wins, according to the RPI they were 0-7-1 against the top twelve. Minnesota’s best result was a shootout loss to Ohio State. Then it all changed. Minnesota hosted the finals and went on to win it all becoming this week’s Belle of the Ball. Up next is a rematch with Wisconsin in Madison.
6. Ohio State (23-10-4), 66 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: L 0-2 v Minnesota (3/3)
• Coming Week: @ Boston College (3/10)
A tough loss to Minnesota might have been made worse due to the apparent injury of star goaltender Kassidy Suave. The Buckeyes head to Chestnut Hill for a first time meeting with the Eagles.
7. Cornell (21-9-3), 54— Last Week: 6
• Last Week: L 4-5 v Colgate (3/3)
• Coming Week: No Games
This was the worst case scenario weekend for the Big Red. If Cornell won one game or if Minnesota had not won the WCHA they would still be alive.
8. Northeastern (19-16-3), 41 — Last Week: 10
• Last Week: W 2-1 v Maine (3/3), W 2-1 v Connecticut (3/4)
• Coming Week: @ Colgate (3/10)
Thanks to the benefits of home ice and a little help from their fellow Huskies Northeastern is back dancing in some glass slippers. Both games this weekend were tight and nerve-racking, but Northeastern ended up with a pair of wins. Next up for the Huskies is a trip to central New York.
For the first time in program history, the Northeastern Huskies are HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS!!!!!#HowlinHuskies | #GoNU pic.twitter.com/bghK0URBKZ— Northeastern Women’s Hockey (@GoNUwhockey) March 4, 2018
9. St. Lawrence (20-11-4), 35 — Last week: 7
• Last Week: L 2-4 v Clarkson (3/3)
• Coming Week: No Games
The Saints needed to win, but unfortunately Clarkson stood in the way and the Golden Knights have had their number all season long.
10. Mercyhurst (18-14-4), 12 —Last Week: NR
• Last Week: W 3-2 OT v Syracuse (3/3), W 5-3 v Robert Morris (3/4)
• Coming Week: @ Clarkson (3/10)
While not a shock, the Lakers defeat of RMU was not the expected result. As a reward for a great tournament win Mercyhurst now gets to set its sights on Clarkson.
Also Receiving Votes: Robert Morris 6, Maine 4, Connecticut 3, Providence 2