SB Nation’s NCAA Poll: Cautious Calm
It was a relatively quiet week, but we have a great matchup to look forward to.
There were no surprises this week as the only losses in the poll came in a matchup between two ranked teams.
1. Wisconsin (8-0-0), 86 (5) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 3-0 @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/15), W 5-4 OT @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/17)
- Coming Week: v Ohio State (10/23)/
After a solid win it took a little extra time for the Badgers to sweep Duluth. Up next is a single game that should give some clarity to voters for the top spot.
2. Ohio State (6-0-0), 85 (4) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 7-0 v Bemidji State (10/15), W 3-1 v Bemidji State (10/16)
- Coming Week: @ Wisconsin (10/23)/
The Buckeyes remain perfect with a sweep or Bemidji, now they get to travel to Madison for another big test.
3. Colgate (8-0-0), 70 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: W 10-2 v Syracuse (10/14), W 5-2 @ Syracuse (10/16)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota (10/22, 10/23)/
Syracuse went down pretty easily for the Raiders, and made Colgate our ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. They now play host to Minnesota in a very rare eastern swing for the Gophers.
4. Northeastern (4-2-0), 53 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: W 5-0 @ St. Anselm (10/13), W 3-0 @ Maine (10/16)
- Coming Week: v Holy Cross (10/24)/
The Huskies righted the ship a little with two shutouts. They will have one more easy game before the next two weekends challenge them a bit more.
5. Minnesota (3-3-0), 51 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: W 3-0 v Minnesota State (10/15), W 6-2 @ Minnesota State (10/16)
- Coming Week: @ Colgate (10/22, 10/23)/
The Gophers were able to return to .500 play after a sweep of Mankato. Now they head east and take on Colgate.
6. Minnesota-Duluth (2-4-0), 49 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: L 0-3 v Wisconsin (10/15), L 4-5 OT v Wisconsin (10/17)
- Coming Week: @ St. Thomas (10/23, 10/24)/
Duluth left some points on the table as they were unable to hold onto their lead against Wisconsin. They should get back to even against St. Thomas.
7. Boston College (5-0-0), 25 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: W 2-1 v New Hampshire (10/15), W 3-2 @ New Hampshire (10/16)
- Coming Week: v Maine (10/23)/
The Eagles are an enigma for some voters and are all over the place. Saturday saw them have a huge comeback and avoid yet another 2-1 decision. They get an easy matchup against Maine this weekend.
8. Princeton (0-0-0), 24 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: No Games /
The Tigers will be back to the ice in another week.
9. Quinnipiac (6-0-2), 21 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: T 2-2 OT @ Providence (10/15), T 1-1 OT v Providence (10/16)
- Coming Week: No Games/
So much for figuring out who belonged in this portion of the poll, the two ties against the Friars leave us still unsure of the order.
10. Providence (2-0-2), 14 — Last poll: ARV
Last week: T 2-2 OT v Quinnipiac (10/5), T 1-1 OT@ Quinnipiac (10/16)
- Coming Week: @ Union (10/22), @ RPI (10/23)/
After taking two ties against Quinnipiac, PC now gets two road games against the worst teams in the ECAC.
Also Receiving Votes: Cornell 13, Boston University 2, Clarkson 2