Behind the Glass: Nieminen’s five-point game
An all-SDHL edition of Behind the Glass
Behind the Glass is our weekly column collecting stories, stats, trends, and thoughts from the world of professional women’s hockey.
The ZhHL returns to action on Feb. 15.
The NWHL regular season also resumes on Feb. 15.
- Shea Tiley earned a 21-save shutout for HV71 against AIK on Jan. 31 and stopped all 20 shots she faced on Feb. 1 against SDE. Tiley has now made 59 saves on 59 shots in 180 minutes of action in the SDHL./
#SDHL Shea Tiley continues an excellent streak of play for HV71 today, now up to 180 minutes without allowing a goal. Not bad for her first few games in a new league in a new country.— Meredith Foster (@fosterwrites) February 2, 2020
- On Jan. 31, Japanese winger Chiho Osawa scored a goal on a penalty shot against Julia Nilsson in Luleå Hockey/MSSK’s 9-2 rout over Leksand. Osawa has two goals and three assists in 10 games this season.
- In that same game, Petra Nieminen scored a goal and picked up four assists — three of which were primary. Thanks in part to that five-point performance, Nieminen now has 55 points in 34 games and is Luleå’s leading scorer. Nieminen, 20, now has as many goals (24) as she had total points last season and has more than doubled her point total from the 2018-19 season.
- Czech forward Kateřina Mrázová had a four-assist game for Brynäs against Luleå on Feb. 1. Mrázová leads Brynäs and the SDHL in assists this season with 36 in 34 games. She is fourth in the league in scoring (51) and second on Brynäs behind only Lara Stalder (68).
- Brynäs’ victory in Mrázová’s four-assist game against Luleå snapped the latter’s 12-game winning streak. Prior to their defeat on Saturday, Luleå’s last loss came on Dec. 20 at the hands of HV71. Luleå is second in the SDHL in the standings with 76 points.
- Dutch defender Kayleigh Hamers, 22, had two assists for SDE in the team’s 4-2 win over Göteborg on Sunday. Hamers is third on SDE in scoring (21 points in 34 games) and is sixth among all SDHL defenders in scoring. The 21 points she has scored this season are a new single-season best for the five-year veteran./
All data courtesy of SDHL.se and EliteProspects.com.