The impressive slate of games did not disappoint. However, it did leave us with more questions than answers. No team is pulling away from the field though we have a few that might be in a different tier for the moment.
1. Minnesota (7-0-1), 99 (9) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 4-2 @ Ohio State (10/28), T 4-4 (1-2 SOL) @ Ohio State (10/29)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (11/4, 11/5)
The Gophers were not dominant but they took more conference points and made most of our voters think they belonged at the top. The coming week will be another good test to see if they have what it takes to be here at the end.
2. Ohio State (8-1-1), 87 (1) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: L 2-4 v Minnesota (10/28), T 4-4 (2-1 SOW) v Minnesota (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ St. Thomas (11/5, 11/6)
It was unfortunate for the Buckeyes that they were unable to take care of business on home ice but they will now have an easy pair of games on the road to get back into shape.
3. Quinnipiac (9-0-0), 74 — Last poll: T-3
- Last week: W 4-1 v Cornell (10/28), W 3-0 v Colgate (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ Yale (11/4), @ Brown (11/5)
The Bobcats took care of business in dominant fashion dispatching two teams from our poll and allowing only one goal making them our ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. They now head on the road (barely) for a good test in New Haven and then a game that might be more challenging than usual against Brown.
4. Colgate (10-1-0), 57 — Last poll: T-3
- Last week: W 5-1 @ Princeton (10/28), L 0-3 @ Quinnipiac (10/29)
- Coming Week: v Clarkson (11/4)
After dispatching Princeton handily the trip to Hamden was not so kind. They will have only one game this week though it is against a team that has just returned to our poll.
5. Wisconsin (10-2-0), 55 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: L 1-2 OT @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/28), W 4-3 @ Minnesota-Duluth (10/29)
- Coming Week: No Games
Wisconsin could have used a dominant weekend but two tight games including an OT loss were able to keep them stable in the poll. They are taking the next two weeks off before resuming play.
6. Northeastern (8-1-1), 49 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: W 4-1 @ Providence (10/28), T 2-2 (2-1 SOW) v Providence (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ New Hampshire (11/4), v New Hampshire (11/5)
Another weekend in which they won the aggregate goals relatively easily but they were unable to finish off the sweep when their offense was stymied in game two, while their goalie gave up multiple goals for the first time all season. The coming weekend needs to be a dominant sweep or they will be falling further in our poll as they take on a UNH team that has seen better days.
7. Minnesota-Duluth (7-3-0), 48 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: W 2-1 OT v Wisconsin (10/28), L 3-4 v Wisconsin (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ Minnesota (11/4, 11/5)
The Bulldogs had their chance to make a statement but could not put away Wisconsin. They get another shot at making a mark when they travel to Minneapolis for the weekend.
8. Yale (2-0-0), 31 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: W 2-1 @ Harvard (10/28), W 4-1 @ Dartmouth (10/29)
- Coming Week: v Quinnipiac (11/4), v Princeton (11/5)
Yale is garnering some attention after sweeping their Ivy weekend. This weekend sees them host the neighbors who will be their biggest test of the season as well as a visit from another Ivy foe.
9. Cornell (3-1-0), 15 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: L 1-4 @ Quinnipiac (10/28), W 3-1 @ Princeton (10/29)
- Coming Week: v St. Lawrence (11/4), v Clarkson (11/5)
It was a good rebound from their loss to Quinnipiac as they took care of business on the road at Princeton. They will have a tough but winnable weekend as the North Country teams come to Ithaca.
T-10. Princeton (0-2-0), 11 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: L 1-5 v Colgate (10/28), L 1-3 v Cornell (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ Brown (11/4), @ Yale (11/5)
The sweep on the weekend has them far from their first-place vote a few weeks ago as they are barely holding onto a spot in our poll. This weekend will be crucial if they want to stay in the poll and the Ivy League race.
T-10. Clarkson (10-1-1), 11 — Last poll: ARV
- Last week: W 4-0 v Union (10/28), W 6-1 v Rensselaer (10/29)
- Coming Week: @ Colgate (11/4), @ Cornell (11/5)
After falling out of the poll a few weeks ago the Golden Knights have been on a hot streak against some weaker opponents and are back. This weekend’s road trip will be telling of where they actually stand.
Also Receiving Votes: Penn State 10, Providence 3