Just in games for teams in the poll we had eight postponements, and there were plenty of others around the country. This week sees the west play the bottom half of their conference for free wins before a meat grinder in the coming weeks. In the east we should see some good matchups if COVID doesn’t change the schedule.
1. Wisconsin (18-1-3), 80 (8) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: v St. Thomas (1/15, 1/16)
After a week off the Badgers are essentially taking another week off when they host the WCHA newbie for a pair.
2. Ohio State (17-3-0), 71 — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 8-2 v Lindenwood (1/7), W 10-0 v Lindenwood (1/8)
- Coming Week: @ St. Cloud State (1/14, 1/15)
Ohio State returned from their break and took Lindenwood to task. This week has a trip to St. Cloud on the schedule.
3. Northeastern (18-2-1), 58 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 8-0 v Merrimack (1/7), W 3-1 @ Merrimack (1/8)
- Coming Week: v New Hampshire (1/14), @ New Hampshire (1/15)
The Huskies had a lot of missing players due to COVID but it did not matter as they ran over Merrimack. They now play a pair against a UNH team that is suddenly playing a lot better.
4. Minnesota (16-5-1), 57 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: W 8-0 v St. Thomas (1/8), W 8-2 @ St. Thomas (1/9)
- Coming Week: @ Minnesota State (1/14), v Minnesota State (1/15)
After a rare half travel weekend, the Gophers will do it again as they take on the Mavericks.
5. Quinnipiac (15-3-3), 51 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: PPD v St. Lawrence (1/7), L 2-3 v Clarkson (1/8)
- Coming Week: @ Rensselear (1/14), @ Union (1/15)
After last weekend’s disappointments and their first game of the weekend was postponed the Bobcats were unable to come back against Clarkson. They will now travel to upstate NY for a pair of easier games that they will need to win in order to get back on track.
6. Minnesota-Duluth (11-7-0), 36 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: PPD @ St. Cloud State (1/7, 1/8)
- Coming Week: v Bemidji State (1/14, 1/15)
Duluth had their weekend series postponed and now have a pair against the Beavers on the docket.
7. Colgate (16-4-1), 31 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: PPD v Harvard (1/7), W 4-2 v Dartmouth (1/8)
- Coming Week:v Harvard (1/10), v St. Lawrence (1/14), vClarkson (1/15)
Their Harvard game has been moved to today though it is unknown whether that will happen as Harvard did not play Cornell yesterday as scheduled. Colgate was able to handle Dartmouth and now host the North Country teams, likely only Clarkson, in games that should be helpful in deciphering ECAC home ice.
8. Clarkson (17-2-3), 27 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: W 3-1 @ Princeton (1/7), W 3-2 @ Quinnipiac (1/8)
- Coming Week: @ Cornell (1/14), @ Colgate (1/15)
Two road games lead to two road wins against very good teams. Just what the doctor ordered, it impressed most of our voters and made them this week’s ‘Belles of the Ball.’ The Golden Knights now travel south to take on Cornell and Colgate while they try to hold on to the ECAC regular season title.
9. Yale (10-3-1), 20 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: PPD v Sacred Heart (1/4), PPD v Union (1/7), PPD v Rensselaer (1/8)
- Coming Week: @ Dartmouth (1/14), @ Harvard (1/15)
Yale did not play any of their three scheduled games last weekend and we will see if they make the trip to take on their Ivy rivals.
10. Harvard (9-5-0), 5 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: PPD @ Colgate (1/7), PPD @ Cornell (1/8)
- Coming Week: @ Colgate (1/10), v Brown (1/14), v Yale (1/15)
The Crimson didn’t play at all this weekend but have three games on the book this week, we will monitor the situation.
Also Receiving Votes: Princeton 2, Connecticut 1, Providence 1