This week saw the west take control of the top four spots in our poll, and a new team got into the mix also receiving votes.
1. Wisconsin (10-0-0), 90 (9) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 3-1 v Ohio State (10/23), W 2-1 OT v Ohio State (10/24)
- Coming Week: @ Minnesota State (10/29, 10/30)
We have a consensus. The Badgers swept Ohio State and now have the top spot locked up. They now travel to Mankato to take on a Mavericks team that is receiving votes.
2. Ohio State (6-2-0), 81 — Last poll: 2
- Last week: L 1-3 @ Wisconsin (10/23), L 1-2 OT @ Wisconsin (10/24)
- Coming Week: v St. Cloud State (10/29, 10/30)
It wasn’t the Buckeye’s best weekend. A pair of close losses are still a pair of losses, which made OSU the unanimous second place vote.
3. Minnesota (5-3-0), 70 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 5-3 @ Colgate (10/22), W 3-2 @ Colgate (10/23)
- Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (10/29, 10/30)
Some of the play might not have been pretty but a sweep of previously undefeated Colgate on the road earns the Gophers this week’s title for ‘ Belle’s of the Ball.’ Upcoming is a trip to Bemidji.
4. Minnesota-Duluth (4-4-0), 58 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: W 3-0 @ St. Thomas (10/23), W 7-0 @ St. Thomas (10/24)
- Coming Week: No Games
After a pair of convincing wins over newcomer St. Thomas, the Bulldogs will take the next three weeks off.
5. Colgate (8-2-0), 56 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: L 3-5 v Minnesota (10/22), L 2-3 v Minnesota (10/23)
- Coming Week: @ Dartmouth (10/29), @ Harvard (10/30)
The Raiders have never defeated Minnesota, which continued this weekend. The games might not have been pretty, but Colgate hung tough, which kept them as high as they are.
6. Northeastern (5-2-0), 43 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: W 3-1 v Holy Cross (10/24)
- Coming Week: @ Boston College (10/29), v Boston College (10/30)
It isn’t quite time to panic on Huntington Avenue, but it is getting close. This weekend’s pair against rival BC will either alleviate some stress or send the Huskies into full on crisis mode.
7. Boston College (6-0-0), 33 — Last poll: 7
- Last week: W 5-2 v Maine (10/23)
- Coming Week: v Northeastern (10/29), @ Northeastern (10/30)
The Eagles finally had a game that wasn’t a single goal margin, it got a little interesting due to Maine starting their backup but Boston College prevailed. Now they get to see if they will be the favorite in Hockey East the rest of the way.
8. Quinnipiac (6-0-2), 24 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: @ Brown (10/29), @ Yale (10/30)
Being idle in seasons like this often helps a team, and it did this week for the Bobcats. They now start ECAC play with pair against two Ivy League foes.
9. Princeton (0-0-0), 20 — Last poll: 8
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: @ Yale (10/29), @ Brown (10/30)
Princeton will finally hit the ice as they travel to New England for a pair.
10. Cornell (1-1-0), 8 — Last poll: ARV
- Last week: L 2-3 v Mercyhurst (10/22), W 4-0 v Mercyhurst (10/23)
- Coming Week: @ Harvard (10/29), @ Dartmouth (10/30)
Cornell opened up with a loss at home before handedly beating the Lakers. They now open their conference and Ivy League schedules with a northern New England road trip.
Also Receiving Votes: Connecticut 5, Harvard 3, Providence 2, Mercyhurst 1, Minnesota State 1