We had another week with a lot of rescheduling but got a little clarity in our top teams, though we still have two distinct tiers that are easily mixed to contend with.
1. Wisconsin (6-2-0), 79 (6) — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 5-0 v Minnesota (1/15), W 6-3 v Minnesota (1/16)
- Coming Week:@ St. Cloud State (1/22, 1/23)
While Wisconsin were the favorites at home this weekend no one really expected the routs that were given to us. While the second game was tighter earlier, the Badgers thoroughly beat Minnesota this weekend to solidify their top spot and earn themselves the title of ‘ Belles of the Ball’ this week. A trip to St. Cloud should net the Badgers another pair of wins.
2. Northeastern (6-1-1), 67 (2) — Last poll: T-3
- Last week: W 4-0 v Providence (1/12), W 3-2 OT v Maine (1/17)
- Coming Week: v Holy Cross (1/22), @ Holy Cross (1/23)
The Huskies got the big win they needed when they handled Providence at home, one might wonder if there was any extra motivation, as they really came out hard. The momentum appeared to carry over to the weekend when with a freshly approved weapon, Maureen Murphy, joined the team they jumped out early and even kept Maine from registering a shot in the first. The game slipped away fro a little bit before an overtime recovery. This weekend brings a test of a different nature, if Northeastern wants to be considered elite they need to start getting a few blowout wins over teams they should blowout, like Holy Cross.
3. Ohio State (6-4-0), 61 — Last poll: 2
- Last Week: L 0-2 @ Minnesota-Duluth (1/15), W 1-0 @ Minnesota-Duluth (1/16)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota State (1/22, 1/23)
Not the ideal week for the Buckeys as they split in Duluth, good news is both games were tight, bad news is they slipped hard in the WCHA table. This weekend brings a competitive Mankato team to Columbus which Ohio State will need to take both games from, convincingly.
4. Minnesota (8-3-0), 57 — Last poll: T-3
- Last week: L 0-5 @ Wisconsin (1/15), L 3-6 @ Wisconsin (1/16)
- Coming Week: No Games
Well we might have over simplified the Gopher’s path up the rankings as they did have to travel to Madison for the games, and it did not go well. While they kept the second game close for awhile they were outscored 11-3 on the weekend which is not great. They will have a weekend off to think about it though.
5. Colgate (7-1-1), 56 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 4-1 v Clarkson (1/16)
- Coming Week: @ Clarkson (1/18), v St. Lawrence (1/22), @ St. Lawrence (1/24)
A game was added against Clarkson which they handled well. Next weeks will bring them a second Clarkson game and a pair against the Saints.
6. Minnesota-Duluth (5-3-0), 38 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: W 2-0 v Ohio State (1/15), L 0-1 v Ohio State (1/16)
- Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (1/22, 1/23)
The Bulldogs looked pretty good against a Buckeyes team that was gunning for the top spot in our poll. They will now take on the bottom of the WCHA in Bemidji.
7. Boston College (9-3-0), 29 — Last poll: T-7
- Last week: W 3-2 v Holy Cross (1/15), W 5-1 @ Holy Cross (1/16)
- Coming Week: v Providence (1/22), @ Providence (1/23)
Neither game saw the Eagles look great but they came away with two wins that showed their grit as they were able to hold on against a Crusaders team that seemed destined for at least a point. Next up is a Providence team that already swept them once so Boston College would like to get some revenge.
8. Providence (9-2-1), 24 — Last poll: T-7
- Last week: L 0-4 @ Northeastern (1/12), W 3-0 @ Merrimack (1/15), W 4-2 v Merrimack (1/17)
- Coming Week: @ Boston College (1/22), v Boston College (1/23)
The Friars never really seemed in the game against Northeastern and you have to wonder if something bigger was at play, possibly karmic, but PC was able to rebound with a pair of wins, even if they weren’t pretty. Now they get BC again which could show they are still contenders or drop them in the standings and polls.
9. Clarkson (3-3-1), 16 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: W 5-1 v Long Island (1/11), W 8-1 v Long Island (1/12), L 1-4 @ Colgate (1/16)
- Coming Week: v Colgate (1/18), @ Quinnipiac (1/23, 1/24)
After dominating the Sharks, the Golden Knights had a rough outing in Hamilton. They look for revenge tonight and then head to Hamden for a pair on the weekend.
10. Penn State (6-1-1), 12— Last poll: 10
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: v Mercyhurst (1/23, 1/24)
Last weekends games were cancelled but the Nittany Lions look to face off against Mercyhurst this weekend.
Also Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 2