This past weekend was a relatively quiet one, at least compared to the weekends we’ve had in the past. Two different sets flipped the places, and the Beanpot should prove interesting for three of the poll teams — and Harvard.
1. Wisconsin (24-4-0), 136 (10) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: L 1-2 @ Bemidji State (2/1), W 4-0 @ Bemidji State (2/2)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota State (2/9, 2/10)
After a let down against Bemidji the Badgers bounced back with a dominant win. This next weekend should be a sweep keeping them alive in pursuit of a trophy.
2. Minnesota (24-4-1), 129 (4) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: L 2-3 OT v Minnesota-Duluth (2/2), W 5-3 v Minnesota-Duluth (2/3)
• Coming Week: No Games
Minnesota threw away a chance to put Wisconsin away when they lost to Duluth and then it took an empty netter to put away the Bulldogs the next day. There will be a weekend off to regroup going into the home stretch.
3. Northeastern (20-3-3), 109 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 2-1 OT @ Connecticut (2/1)
• Next week: v Boston University (2/5), v Merrimack (2/8)
Northeastern is winning the games they need to. They are not doing it in a pretty fashion right now, but the fans at Matthews are less concerned with that and are now focused on defeating their hated neighbor Boston University in the Beanpot. If the Huskies win the next three games they will win two trophies.
4. Clarkson (22-5-1), 99 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 3-2 @ Quinnipiac (2/1), W 3-1 @ Princeton (2/2)
• Next week: v Cornell (2/8), v Colgate (2/9)
The Golden Knights did a great job helping their case both in the polls and the standings, which earned them this week’s “Belles of the Ball”. This weekend brings two huge games that will keep Clarkson in control of their destiny.
5. Princeton (15-3-5), 84 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 4-2 v Penn State (1/29), W 4-3 OT v St. Lawrence (2/1), L 1-3 v Clarkson (2/2)
• This week: @ Brown (2/8), @ Yale (2/9)
The Tigers wish they had the weekend back as they struggled to beat St. Lawrence and then fell to Clarkson. They can win the Ivy League with a single point this weekend, but a sweep is needed for the ECAC.
6. Cornell (16-2-5), 72 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 5-2 @ Syracuse (1/29), W 7-0 v Union (2/1), W 5-0 v RPI (2/2)
• This week: @ Clarkson (2/8), @ St. Lawrence (2/9)
Hopefully the Big Red saved some goals for the coming weekend. After blowing out to teams in the bottom half Cornell is traveling to play two of the best in the ECAC.
7. Boston College (19-9-0), 50 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 6-0 v Holy Cross (2/1)
• Next week: @ Harvard (2/5), v New Hampshire (2/8)
A dominant win continues the hot streak. Up next is the Beanpot at Harvard. The weekend will bring a UNH team they need to beat for the Pairwise.
8. Ohio State (17-11-0), 35 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: W 4-0 @ St. Cloud State (2/1), W 5-0 @ St. Cloud State (2/2)
• Next week: v Bemidji State (2/8, 2/9)
The Buckeyes finally got some wins, but need to get some points this weekend as Bemidji State could still catch them.
9. Boston University (15-6-6), 24 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: W 7-2 @ Vermont (2/1)
• Next week: v Northeastern (2/5), v Holy Cross (2/9)
The Terriers have finally figured it out and now look to get some revenge against Northeastern who won the season series against them.
10. Colgate (16-8-4), 22 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: W 4-1 v RPI (2/1), W 5-2 v Union (2/2)
• Next week: @ St. Lawrence (2/8), @ Clarkson (2/9)
Colgate has stayed in contention but could use a signature win from this weekend.
Also Receiving Votes: Minnesota-Duluth 9, Bemidji State 1