A lot of teams came out of the gates sluggish this weekend and a number of favorites trailed for portions of their first game. But in the end all the favorites took the points they needed and didn’t drop any against unranked teams.
1. Minnesota (12-1-1), 127 (10) — Last poll: 1
• Last week: W 7-1 v Bemidji State (11/15), W 3-0 v Bemidji State (11/16)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota-Duluth (11/22, 11/23)
The Gophers trailed for a whole period then never let up another goal. They will now travel to a struggling Duluth team that historically can play scrappy.
2. Wisconsin (12-1-1), 115 (1) — Last poll: 2
• Last Week: W 3-2 v Minnesota State (11/16), W 6-1 v Minnesota State (11/17)
• Coming Week: @ St. Cloud State (11/22, 11/23)
The Badgers were the exception, coming out strong, but finished poorly in the first game. The next game was another huge start before letting off the gas a bit once again. That shouldn’t be an issue this week as they head out to St. Cloud.
3. Cornell (7-0-1), 100 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 6-0 v Yale (11/15), W 9-1 v Brown (11/16)
• Coming Week: No Games
Two easy Ivy wins that were never particularly close erase the embarrassing memory of going down to Brown last year and earn the Big Red the titles of ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. This week is an off week for them.
4. Northeastern (10-1-0), 91 (2) — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 5-1 v New Hampshire (11/15), W 1-0 @ New Hampshire (11/16)
• Coming Week: @ Boston College (11/19), v Maine (11/23, 11/24)
The Huskies gave up the only goal against of the weekend 32 seconds in to the first game, which was cause for concern. They then score six unanswered over the rest of the two games to sweep the season series against a New Hampshire teams that would love to get the last Hockey East home ice spot. This week the Huskies both open and close for the ranked teams, starting with a midweek duel in Chestnut Hill and ending with a pair against Maine.
5. Clarkson (10-1-3), 75 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 4-1 v Mercyhurst (11/15), W 2-1 v Mercyhurst (11/16)
• Coming Week: @ Princeton (11/22), @ Quinnipiac (11/23)
Clarkson is gaining ground back since their loss and the sweep of Mercyhurst this weekend certainly played a role. The coming week has a pair of big tests, a trip to the far south of the hockey world in Princeton then up to Quinnipiac. A sweep would keep them locked up near the top while also gaining separation from the pack nipping at their heels.
6. Boston College (10-1-1), 56 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 4-2 @ Boston University (11/15)
• Coming Week: v Northeastern (11/19), v Connecticut (11/22), @ Connecticut (11/23)
The Eagles are a team that has a large range of disagreement in our pollsters, some say home ice others say not in the tournament. This Tuesday they will host Northeastern which will hopefully shed some light on which one they are. The next two games will either be sweet revenge or devastation as they have a pair against UConn and hope to not have another game slip away from them.
7. Ohio State (8-3-3), 55 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 3-1 v Minnesota-Duluth (11/15), T 1-1 OT (SOW 1-0) v Minnesota-Duluth (11/16)
• Coming Week: @ Colgate (11/22, 11/23)
In the only matchup of ranked teams this week, the Buckeyes prevailed at home taking 5/6 point. Now they will hit the road and head to New York for a pair of nonconference games that could boost their profile and be a big help come the end of the year.
8. Princeton (7-2-0), 46 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: W 7-2 @ Union (11/15), W 4-1 @ Rensselaer (11/16)
• Coming Week: v Clarkson (11/22), v St. Lawrence (11/23)
The Tigers recovered with a pair of wins like they needed. They now play host for a pair and will need both of them to stay afloat in the ECAC title race.
9. Harvard (5-0-0), 34 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: @ Boston University (11/19), v New Hampshire (11/23)
Harvard had a week off and now they get to travel across Brighton to take on Boston University in a game that should be telling. They then take on an old rival in New Hampshire.
10. Minnesota-Duluth (7-4-1), 7 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: L 1-3 @ Ohio State (11/15), T 1-1 (SOL 0-1) @ Ohio State (11/16)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota (11/22, 11/23)
The Bulldogs barely stayed alive in our poll not even averaging a vote per ballot but with no one else stepping up they stay here for at least another week. After only getting a single point against the Buckeyes they will need to do better this weekend, problem is top ranked Minnesota is coming to town and doesn’t look to be slowing down.
Also Receiving Votes: Boston University 6, Robert Morris 2, Mercyhurst 1