This was the last weekend without the Ivies in action and it didn’t disappoint. There were a number of upsets and some thrilling wins for favorites.
1. Wisconsin (8-0-0), 120 (12) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 10-2 @ Long Island (10/18), W 12-0 @ Long Island (10/19)
• Coming Week: v Bemidji State (10/26, 10/27)
It was almost as big of a bloodshed as was expected as the Badgers destroyed the Sharks. The Beavers will be the next team to play the Badgers
2. Minnesota (8-0-0), 103 — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 3-0 v St. Cloud State (10/19), W 4-2 v St. Cloud State (10/20)
• Coming Week: @ Ohio State (10/25, 10/26)
After getting two wins against St. Cloud the Gophers stay put. Now they get their first real test as they travel to Columbus for a pair that will go a long way to determining the WCHA standings
3. Northeastern (5-0-0), 96 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 6-1 @ Maine (10/18), W 4-1 v New Hampshire (10/20)
• Coming Week: @ Providence (10/25)
The Huskies declared Black Bear season open in Maine before taking their home opener with a banner ceremony against New Hampshire. Up next they travel to Providence, who is one of only two other teams that have yet to drop a Hockey East point, the other is Boston College
4. Clarkson (4-1-1), 78 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: T 3-3 OT @ Robert Morris (10/18), W 6-5 OT @ Robert Morris (10/19)
• Coming Week: v Lindenwood (10/25, 10/26)
Clarkson had a tough weekend but was able to take three of four points against Robert Morris. This weekend brings Lindenwood to town which will be their last warm up before ECAC play starts.
5. Cornell (0-0-0), 67 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Robert Morris (10/25, 10/26)
We finally get to see the Big Red in action this weekend as they host a Robert Morris team that has played top teams very tough so far this season, which should give us a clearer picture of where they fit in.
6. Princeton (0-0-0), 66 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: No Games
• Coming Week: v Syracuse (10/25, 10/26)
Like Cornell, Princeton is finally in action and the Tigers host a Syracuse team that has not won a game but has played multiple ranked teams tightly.
7. Boston College (6-0-0), 55 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 8-0 v Merrimack (10/18), W 3-2 @ Vermont (10/20)
• Coming Week: v Holy Cross (10/25), v Maine (10/26)
Boston College handed Merrimack a beating on Friday and then headed to Vermont. Against the Catamounts the Eagles were able to hold onto their lead despite a number of late penalties.
8. Robert Morris (2-3-1), 23 — Last poll: ARV
• Last week: T 3-3 OT v Clarkson (10/18), L 5-6 OT v Clarkson (10/19)
• Coming Week: @ Cornell (10/25, 10/26)
The Colonials parlayed a tie and an overtime loss against Clarkson into a huge jump in the poll and earned them the title of ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. They will travel to play Cornell which will either keep them ranked or likely drop them back out.
9. Ohio State (4-2-2), 18 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: T 1- 1 OT (L 1-2 2OT) @ Minnesota State (10/18), T 3-3 OT (1-2 SOL) @ Minnesota State (10/19)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota (10/25, 10/26)
The Buckeyes managed to get two ties on the weekend but then dropped the extra points as they floundered against Mankato. Due to the rest of the bottom of the poll struggling they stay ranked. Next up is the Gophers who look to reclaim their place atop the WCHA.
T-10. Minnesota-Duluth (3-3-0), 14 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 2-4 @ Bemidji State (10/18), L 1-2 @ Bemidji State (10/19)
• Coming Week: v Mercyhurst (10/25), v Colgate/Connecticut (10/26)
The Bulldogs dropped both games in Bemidji. They look to rebound in the Ice Breaker tournament.
T-10. Boston University (3-1-1), 14 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: W 1-0 @ Connecticut (10/18), W 3-1 @ Maine (10/20)
• Coming Week: v Penn State (10/25, 10/26)
The Terriers took both conference games and kept them in contention. Penn State makes a rare trip to Boston for a pair this weekend.
Also Receiving Votes: Colgate 3, Harvard 2, Mercyhurst 1