The top half is pretty locked in, though that looks to change next week as we will have a meeting of two top five teams. With the Beanpot coming, the Boston teams will have a light weekend.
1. Wisconsin (23-3-0), 136 (10) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: W 5-0 v St. Cloud State (1/25), W 3-1 v St. Cloud State (1/26)
• Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (2/1, 2/2)
The Badgers easily handled the worst team in the WCHA and will now travel to Bemidji for a pair.
2. Minnesota (24-3-1), 130 (4) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 7-2 @ Ohio State (1/25), W 7-1 @ Ohio State (1/26)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (2/2, 2/3)
Minnesota destroyed Ohio State this weekend and stayed atop the standings. Now, Duluth will come to town, with the Gophers only needing three points to lock up a top two spot in the WCHA.
3. Northeastern (19-3-3), 108 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 2-1 OT v Vermont (1/25), W 5-1 v Vermont (1/26)
• Next week: @ Connecticut (2/1)
After an eventful overtime win Friday, the Huskies took care of business on Saturday over the Catamounts and now sit four points from a trophy. Only one game this weekend as Northeastern prepares for the Beanpot.
4. Princeton (13-2-5), 94 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: No Games
• This week: v Penn State (1/29), v St. Lawrence (2/1), v Clarkson (2/2)
After a long break the Tigers get a warmup game against Penn State before a critical weekend series. That series includes a visit from Clarkson that should make a great case for who gets home ice in the NCAA tournament.
5. Clarkson (20-5-1), 89 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: W 4-2 v Harvard (1/25), W 4-2 v Dartmouth (1/26)
• Next week: @ Quinnipiac (2/1), @ Princeton (2/2)
The weekend sweep moved the Golden Knights into the top four for PWR but our voters seem more skeptical. A win over Princeton should make the decision easier next week.
6. Cornell (13-2-5), 71 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 4-2 @ Colgate (1/25), W 4-2 v Colgate (1/26)
• This week: @ Syracuse (1/29), v Union (2/1), v RPI (2/2)
Sweeping their travel partner did the Big Red well. They sit in second for the ECAC and look to continue their hot play against the bottom portion of the table.
7. Boston College (18-9-0), 47 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: W 4-2 v Providence (1/25), W 4-2 @ Providence (1/26)
• Next week: v Holy Cross (2/1)
The Eagles have really turned it on since their offense blew up against Northeastern. They are now winner of five in a row having knocked off Providence twice en route to becoming this weeks “Belles of the Ball”. They have what should be a cake walk as they host Holy Cross before the Beanpot.
8. Ohio State (15-11-0), 37 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: L 2-7 v Minnesota (1/25), L 1-7 v Minnesota (1/26)
• Next week: @ St. Cloud State (2/1, 2/2)
The Buckeyes are ice cold. While they weren’t expected to beat Minnesota, the scoreline continued a worrisome trend as they have scored more than two goals only once in the calendar year. They have also been outscored 30-11 in non exhibition games. This weekend’s series against St. Cloud State should get them back to their winning ways.
9. Colgate (14-8-4), 30 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 2-4 v Cornell (1/25), L 2-4 @ Cornell (1/26)
• Next week: v RPI (2/1), v Union (2/2)
This was a rough weekend for the Raiders. They still sit on a home ice position for the ECAC tournament but need to get back to winning. That shouldn’t be a problem as they have two very winnable games.
10. Boston University (14-6-6), 26 — Last poll: T-10
• Last week: W 6-3 v Merrimack (1/25), T 3-3 OT @ Merrimack (1/26)
• Next week: @ Vermont (2/1)
Boston University moves into the poll untied after their competition for the tenth slot flatlined more than they did. It took an extra attacker goal to stave off Merrimack and end up with a tie. They are a bit unlucky to have a long trip for their only game this weekend as they too are gearing up for the Beanpot.
Also Receiving Votes: Minnesota-Duluth 2