A slightly chaotic weekend has led to some good movement, and it is unlikely to stop with the coming slate of games.
1. Wisconsin (20-2-0), 96 (6) — Last poll: 1
• Last Week: L 0-1 @ Ohio State (1/11), W 5-2 @ Ohio State (1/12)
• Coming Week: @ Minnesota (1/19, 1/20)
The Badgers showed they were human with a tough loss to Ohio State before taking the Buckeyes to the wood shed the next day. The coming weekend sends Wisconsin head to Minneapolis for what could very well decide the top seed in the NCAA Tournament.
2. Minnesota (21-2-1), 94 (4) — Last poll: 2
• Last week: W 5-1 @ Minnesota State (1/11), W 6-3 @ Minnesota State (1/12)
• Coming Week: v Wisconsin (1/19,1/20)
Two big wins for the Gophers as they clearly figured out goalie Abigail Levy both games. The next challenge is their rivals coming to town for a can’t miss meeting.
3. Northeastern (15-3-3), 78 — Last poll: 3
• Last week: W 4-1 v Boston College (1/11); L 5-7 @ Boston College (1/12)
• Next week: v Connecticut (1/18), @ Connecticut (1/19)
The Huskies were the better team Friday night and the scoreboard showed it; however, with a devastating injury to Chloe Aurard and likely some jet lag Northeastern was unable to complete the season sweep of BC in a shootout of a game. Next weekend pits Husky against Husky as UConn will be their home-and-home opponent with ‘The Belt’ on the line.
4. Princeton (13-2-5), 61 — Last poll: 7
• Last week: W 5-0 @ Cornell (1/11); T 4-4 OT @ Colgate (1/12)
• This week: No Games
After a huge win that all but locks up the Ivy League crown, the Tigers stumbled into another tie, this time against Colgate. These results were enough to shoot Princeton up our poll earning ‘Belles of the Ball’ again this week. They still sit atop the ECAC and will have the weekend off.
T-5. Clarkson (16-5-1), 58 — Last poll: 4
• Last week: W 5-1 @ RPI (1/11); W 6-0 @ Union (1/12)
• Next week: v Yale (1/18), v Brown (1/19)
Despite clearly taking care of business in ECAC play the Golden Knights lost a lot of love from the voters. This next weekend brings no flashy games that could help either.
T-5. Ohio State (15-7-0), 58 — Last poll: 6
• Last week: W 1-0 v Wisconsin (1/11), L 2-5 v Wisconsin (1/12)
• Next week: @ Minnesota-Duluth (1/19, 1/20)
The enigma appears to continue as they beat Wisconsin in game one but then struggling in the second. This next matchup is a should win with the level of talent tOSU has shown so far.
7. Cornell (9-2-5), 42 — Last poll: 5
• Last week: T 3-3 OT @ Penn State (1/8); L 0-5 v Princeton (1/11); W 2-1 v Quinnipiac (1/12)
• This week: @ Dartmouth (1/18), @ Harvard (1/19)
This was not an ideal weekend for Cornell as they drop in both the poll and the standings. The Big Red now have a pair of road conference games to straighten out the ship.
8. Colgate (12-6-4), 27 — Last poll: 9
• Last week: W 5-2 v Qunnipiac (1/11), T 4-4 OT v Princeton (1/12)
• Next week: @ Harvard (1/18), @ Dartmouth (1/19)
A good win on Friday followed by a tie of a very good Princeton team buoys the Raiders in our poll. They travel for a pair of games that will test them but should result in victories.
9. Providence (16-6-0), 14 — Last poll: 8
• Last week: L 3-5 v BU (1/11); L 2-4 @ BU (1/12)
• Next week: v New Hampshire (1/18), @ New Hampshire (1/19)
A disaster of a weekend leaves the Friars on the edge, both in this poll and for home ice in the HEA Tournament. Their next opponent is no slouch but PC should win.
10. Boston College (14-9-0), 13 — Last poll: 10
• Last week: L 1-4 @ Northeastern (1/11), W 7-5 v Northeastern (1/12)
• Next week: @ Vermont (1/18, 1/19)
The Eagles got the win they needed, now the question is whether or not this was a one off or starts them on a march to the Frozen Four like we all expected to start the season.
Also Receiving Votes: Boston University 8, Bemidji State 1