Up at the top of the poll we have our first conference trophy in a teams’ hands and could see another shortly. But things fell apart this weekend for several teams towards the bottom of the poll.
1. Wisconsin (26-1-1), 140 (14) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: W 4-0 v St. Cloud State (1/27), W 3-2 v St. Cloud State (1/28)
• Coming Week: @ Ohio State (2/2, 2/3)
The Badgers swept the weekend and with the help of Duluth are a mere two points away from clinching the WCHA regular season crown. They will get their first chance at doing so against the only team that can catch them as they travel to Columbus.
2. Clarkson (23-3-1), 120 — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: W 4-3 OT @ Cornell (1/26), W 5-3 @ Colgate (1/27)
• Coming Week: v Syracuse (1/30), v Brown (2/2), v Yale (2/3)
The Golden Knights are now alone in the driver’s seat for the ECAC. A great weekend saw them take out the second and third placed teams, earning them the title of Belles of the Ball. They play their final out of conference game before they finish out the regular season with three weekends of very winnable games.
3. Boston College (24-2-3), 116 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: W 5-0 v Providence (1/26), W 3-2 @ Providence (1/27)
• Coming Week: No Games
The Eagles have won another trophy. They are the first team to clinch a conference title this season because the rest of Hockey East unraveled this weekend. BC has the weekend off before playing host to Northeastern in the Beanpot.
4. Colgate (23-4-1), 100 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 5-2 v St. Lawrence (1/26), L 3-5 v Clarkson (1/27)
• Coming Week: @ Dartmouth (2/2), @ Harvard (2/3)
After taking care of business against St. Lawrence like they needed to the Raiders were unable to get over the hump that is Clarkson. As a result Colgate fell to second place in the ECAC, though they are now locked into a playoff spot.
5. Cornell (13-7-2), 77— Last Week: 6
• Last Week: L 3-4 OT v Clarkson (1/26), W 4-1 v St. Lawrence (1/27)
• Coming Week: @ Harvard (2/2), @ Dartmouth (2/3)
Cornell was unable to finish off Clarkson whom they went to OT with and subsequently immediately lost to. Fortunately the Big Red did defeat St. Lawrence and are now tied for third place in the ECAC. They have a pair of Ivy League games that will put them on the precipice of that title and a playoff spot.
6. Ohio State (17-7-4), 68 — Last Week: 5
• Last Week: L 1-4 @ Minnesota-Duluth (1/26), L 1-2 @ Minnesota-Duluth (1/27)
• Coming Week: v Wisconsin (2/2, 2/3)
With quite the reversal of fortune The Ohio State Buckeyes got swept by Duluth. The Buckeyes now face long odds to win the WCHA. They will have the best chance for it this weekend when they host to the Badgers. But Wisconsin has let to lose a game in conference play this season.
7. Minnesota (19-8-2), 45 — Last Week: 8
• Last Week: W 4-2 v Minnesota State (1/26), W 2-0 v Minnesota State (1/27)
• Coming Week: @ St. Cloud State (2/2, 2/3)
After sweeping the last place team Minnesota now turns their attention to playing the second team from the bottom. The Gophers sit in second place and still have a weekend to Madison ahead of them in the schedule.
8. St. Lawrence (14-9-3), 44 — Last week: 7
• Last Week: L 2-5 @ Colgate (1/26), L 1-4 @ Cornell (1/27)
• Coming Week: v Yale (2/2), v Brown (2/3)
The Saints were unable to take advantage of a prime opportunity to boost their national profile. St. Lawrence fell by three goals in both games and are now tied for third place. They have six winnable games remaining as they fight for home ice in the playoffs.
9. Providence (14-9-6), 24 — Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: L 0-5 @ Boston College (1/26), L 2-3 v Boston College (1/27)
• Coming Week: v Merrimack (2/2), @ Connecticut (2/3)
Despite a brutal sweep at the hands of the Eagles, costing them the Hockey East title, the Friars return to the poll due to the woeful weekend by the rest of the teams fighting for spots. Providence will continue its Hockey East Campaign and look to get back to playing winning hockey.
T-10. Northeastern (13-12-3), 12 —Last Week: 9
• Last Week: L 2-5 @ Vermont (1/26), L 3-4 @ Vermont (1/27)
• Coming Week: @ Connecticut (2/2)
The Jekyll and Hyde season for Northeastern continues. After everything else went their way this weekend the Huskies were unable to gain a single point in conference play after being swept by the Catamounts. The Huskies will play as a single game in Connecticut in preparation for the Beanpot.
Also Receiving Votes: Robert Morris 12, Maine 7, Minnesota-Duluth 4, Bemidji State 1