And we are back with some exciting results. As the game count dwindles we draw ever closer to the NCAA tournament and the games start to gain more meaning. Which in turn could lead to some big changes coming in the poll.
1. Wisconsin (23-1-0), 130 (13) — Last Week: 1
• Last Week: W 6-0 v Minnesota State (1/13), W 4-0 v Minnesota State (1/14)
• Coming Week: @ Bemidji State (1/19, 1/20)
The Badgers took care of business with the bottom of the WCHA. They can wrap up at least a top four spot with a sweep of troublesome Bemidji State. They remain atop the standings mostly by default with the rest of the top teams struggling to return to form.
2. Boston College (19-2-3), 108 — Last Week: 2
• Last Week: L 2-4 v Northeastern (1/12), W 5-4 OT @ Northeastern (1/13)
• Coming Week: v Harvard (1/16), v Vermont (1/19, 1/20)
The Eagles got punched in the mouth early when they took on Northeastern in Chestnut Hill and were never able to gain a lead as the Huskies looked dominant. The next day the Eagles were desperate to get one back and jumped out early but were unable to hold the lead as Northeastern tied it up and took the lead back. On the back of a stellar four goal performance by Toni-Ann Miano they were able to take the game to OT and win. The Eagles had extra motivation for the second game of the series as the father of Coach Crowley passed on Friday evening. We here at the Poll would like to send our condolences to ‘Kinger’ and wish her the best.
3. Clarkson (19-3-1), 106 — Last Week: 3
• Last Week: W 3-2 OT v RPI (1/12), W 7-3 v Union (1/13)
• Coming Week: @ Harvard (1/19), @ Dartmouth (1/20)
Not the return to action the Golden Knights would have liked, but they stay near the top of the poll and PWR. They have a pair of Ivy League games to ease back in some more.
4. Colgate (19-3-1), 98 — Last Week: 4
• Last Week: W 6-3 @ Syracuse (1/9), W 3-2 v Harvard (1/12), W 4-1 v Dartmouth (1/13)
• Coming Week: v Syracuse (1/16), v Union (1/19), v RPI (1/20)
All they can do is keep winning in conference and hope they come out on top. And so far they’re doing their part in the New Year. Colgate will have a midweek game against the Orange before hosting the bottom of the ECAC.
5. Cornell (11-6-1), 67— Last Week: 5
• Last Week: W 2-0 v Dartmouth (1/12), W 4-3 v Harvard (1/13)
• Coming Week: v RPI (1/19), v Union (1/20)
Like Colgate they are taking care of business and they had the added bonus of a pair of Ivy League wins to move them closer to another title there. Don’t count out the Big Red.
6. Ohio State (15-5-4), 57 — Last Week: 8
• Last Week: W 5-0 v Robert Morris (1/12), W 5-2 v Robert Morris (1/13)
• Coming Week: v Minnesota (1/19, 1/20)
The Buckeyes are still an enigma. They ended 2017 with a loss to Mercyhurst and then started 2018 with a beatdown at the hands of Penn State. They then finished their CHA slate by drubbing a large contender in Robert Morris. Ohio State get to host a Minnesota team that is desperate for a decent win while needing one of their own, they broke service in Minneapolis and look to add to the break in Columbus.
7. Minnesota (17-6-2), 49 — Last Week: 6
• Last Week: W 2-1 v St. Cloud State (1/9), L 2-4 v Vermont (1/12), W 6-1 v Vermont (1/13)
• Coming Week: @ Ohio State (1/19, 1/20)
New year, new rock bottom for the Gophers. Another puzzling loss to a bottom of the barrel Hockey East team, though some believe that Hockey East is the top conference in the nation. This was after a tight non-conference showdown with St. Cloud. This weekend will be make it or break it for the Gophers as they take on their biggest competition for the number two spot in the WCHA.
8. St. Lawrence (12-7-3), 27 — Last week: 7
• Last Week: W 4-0 v Union (1/12), W 5-1 v RPI (1/13)
• Coming Week: @ Dartmouth (1/19), @ Harvard (1/20)
Unlike their travel partner, the Saints easily dispatched the dregs of the ECAC and look to add two more this weekend as they claw their way back to the top of the conference.
9. Northeastern (12-10-2), 25 —Last Week: ARV
• Last Week: W 4-2 v Connecticut (1/9), W 4-2 @ Boston College (1/12), L 4-5 OT v Boston College
• Coming Week: v Boston University (1/16), v Connecticut (1/19)
We got to see the Huskies team that we all expected to see when the season started this weekend. Northeastern proved that they could run with the big dogs as they looked dominant out in Chestnut Hill and held a late lead at home against Boston College, bringing them back into the picture for a top three seed in HEA. They will have a mid-week Beanpot warmup against a BU team that has been wildly inconsistent, but the Terriers have Victoria Bach back.
10. Providence (14-6-4), 20 — Last Week: 10
• Last Week: L 1-5 @ Boston University (1/12), W 6-3 v Boston University (1/13)
• Coming Week: @ New Hampshire (1/19, 1/20)
Providence opened the calendar by winning the Mayor’s Cup as expected only to get roasted by Boston University, before holding on at home the next day. They will travel to Durham as they try to stay near the top of the Hockey East table.
Also Receiving Votes: Robert Morris 13, Maine 8, Minnesota-Duluth 2,Vermont 2 , Saint Anselm 2, Bemidji State 1