Well we know who has life left and everyone of our teams here, plus Syracuse. This time next week we will be down to four.
1. Ohio State (29-6-0), 90 (9) — Last poll: 2
- Last week: W 2-1 v Wisconsin (3/5), W 2-1 OT @ Minnesota (3/6)
- Coming Week: v Quinnipiac/Syracuse (3/12)
The Buckeyes took their second straight WCHA tournament title, this time taking out the Gophers. With that they became the number one seed in the tournament, and our ‘Belles of the Ball’ this week. As a reward they get to meet either the lowest ranked team in the tournament or a Quinnipiac team that has fallen on hard times since the calendar turned over.
2. Minnesota (29-8-1), 80 — Last poll: 1
- Last week: W 5-1 v Minnesota-Duluth (3/5), L 2-3 OT v Ohio State (3/6)
- Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth/ Harvard (3/12)
After dominating Duluth on home ice, the Gophers got out to a great start against Ohio State before collapsing and eventually losing early in overtime. They will look to mark their return to the NCAA tournament , after a shocking miss last season, with a trip to the Frozen four and they have a chance to play the same Duluth team they just beat soundly.
3. Northeastern (30-4-2), 63 — Last poll: 3
- Last week: W 3-1 v Maine (3/2), W 3-1 v Connecticut (3/5)
- Coming Week: v Wisconsin/Clarkson (3/12)
Northeastern defended their Hockey East title for the fifth consecutive time and earned a home game once again. Their reward is a game against a team that has won a championship before or possibly the team that beat them in the title game last year.
4. Wisconsin (25-7-4), 53 — Last poll: 4
- Last week: L 1-2 v Ohio State (3/5)
- Coming Week: v Clarkson (3/10), @ Northeastern (3/12)
Losing to Ohio State earned them a trip to Boston where they must play a first round game. Had they won just their semifinal they would be playing Colgate instead. Now they open with Clarkson to try and then play against Northeastern.
5. Colgate (30-7-1), 49 — Last poll: 5
- Last week: W 3-2 v Quinnipiac (3/4), W 2-1 OT @ Yale (3/5)
- Coming Week: v Yale (3/12)
Colgate was pushed to the limit against Yale and was able to take the trophy. Now they get to replay that game just moving the venue to their barn.
6. Yale (25-8-1), 35 — Last poll: T-7
- Last week: W 3-1 v Princeton (3/4), L 1-2 OT v Colgate (3/5)
- Coming Week: @ Colgate (3/12)
Yale got pretty lucky despite the loss they were able to hang on to a first round bye, when they could have fallen as low as 7th if other results had gone a different way. The Bulldogs will look to reverse their overtime loss when they head to Hamilton.
7. Minnesota-Duluth (24-11-1), 33 — Last poll: 6
- Last week: L 1-5 @ Minnesota (3/5)
- Coming Week: v Harvard (3/10), @ Minnesota (3/12)
Duluth got beaten up by Minnesota at Ridder and now they get to go right back there to take on Harvard. The Bulldogs did sweep their series with the Crimson in Brighton.
8. Quinnipiac (25-9-3), 27 — Last poll: T-7
- Last week: L 2-3 v Colgate (3/4)
- Coming Week: v Syracuse (3/10), @ Ohio State (3/12)
After being bounced out by Colgate the Bobcats get the easiest first round matchup when they get to take on CHA champs Syracuse to earn the right to play the top seeded Buckeyes.
9. Harvard (22-9-1), 20 — Last poll: 9
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: v Minnesota-Duluth (3/10), @ Minnesota (3/12)
Harvard had the weekend off after being upset by Princeton. They will rematch with a Duluth team that swept them when they were COVID depleted, where the winner will play Minnesota.
10. Clarkson (22-11-3), 7 — Last poll: 10
- Last week: No Games
- Coming Week: v Wisconsin (3/10), @ Northeastern (3/12)
Clarkson was sweating out Saturday nights game in Boston as Connecticut had a lead through most of two periods which would have left the Golden Knights at home. Instead they get to travel to that same barn to take on the defending champions.
Also Receiving Votes: Connecticut 2